American "gonna"

Biboka   Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:20 pm GMT
-I'm going to- is overly formal.
Timothy   Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:44 pm GMT
Biboka - You have to be kidding me. "I'm going to" is not overly formal.

While "I'm gonna" is fine due to wide use, "I'm going to" is still seen as more acceptable and more correct. I say it more often than I say "I'm gonna," and so do my friends and family, professionals, educators, and many more people. You're wrong to say it's overly formal.

As far as "I gonna," I've never heard any educated, respectable people talking like that.
Biboka   Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:51 pm GMT
I bet Timothy says: It is I in a proud way rather than a simply and sloppy: It's me.
I hope his friends and family, professionals, educators, and many more people follow his nice try.
Pedro   Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:40 pm GMT
Timothy is the President La quara Simoa Islands. That's why he speaks that way: "it is I".

ROFL
Timothy   Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:01 am GMT
Biboka, I'm sorry that people who use proper English are such a threat to you. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable on a forum for auto mechanics or truck drivers.

You don't have to be anything special to not say "I gonna."

I live a lower-middle class lifestyle, yet I don't know a single person who says "I gonna."
Qwaggmireland   Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:07 am GMT
Well known example: English football fans singing to American football fans "your gonna get your effing heads kicked in" .............

Note: well example of same song with words "Your going home inna English ambulance"

not...

"your gonna home inna English ambulance"
Entbark   Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 am GMT
"Gonna" is short for "going to," not "going."
Milton   Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 pm GMT
Gonna, wanna, and gotta are the most frequent words in American speech.