Comma gets a cure (my accent)

Another Guest   Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:11 pm GMT
It seems like you were simply reading the story off the page. You kept stumbling over the words, and you said "what the..." several times. Your delivery would probably be improved quite a bit simply by looking over the passage a few times before reading it out loud, so you aren't having to process the story and try to pronounce things correctly at the same time.

1. Your pacing definitely is something to work on; you alternated between a staccatto delivery and a rushed, several-words-smashed-together reading.

2. You seem to have the r/l merger, pronouncing "daily" as "dairy".

3. You seem to have trouble voicing final consonants; for instance, in the phrase "The letter implied that the animal could be suffering", you pronounced the word "implied" as "imply", and "suffering" as "suffer". You also said "goose" instead of "goose's" a few times.

4. Sometimes, you dropped words, such as "to" from "she was very happy to start a new job", added words, such as "it" between "thought" and "was" in "which Sarah thought was an odd choice for a name", and said one word instead of another, such as "for" instead of "to" in the phrase "more to her liking".

6. You had trouble pronouncing several words. For instance, in the phrase "Before long, that itchy goose began to strut around the office like a lunatic", you pronounced "itchy" as "ishy" and "lunatic" with the accent on the second syllable instead of the first (presumably, this was the source of your "what the").
qweasdzxc   Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:08 pm GMT
Another Guest
Thanks for your comment, I think many of them are caused by my laziness of my mouth. Yeah I tried to get it over with when I read. Well, actually, I am more interested in my intonation. Is there anything awkward?