Gatsby help

Jake_Eagles08   Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:34 am GMT
What does he mean by: "usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions."

I think he means that men typically find it harder to open up and confide in one another and when they do it is not genuine because they try to keep some of their true feelings hidden.
ysk1   Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:44 pm GMT
I just started reading Great Gatsby, and I'm stuck on first two pages. Why did Fitzgerald write so abstrusely? To make anyone reading his novel get frustrated? Is it normal for one to take very long time to proceed through the novel? So many little things are really hard to interpret.
kai   Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:18 pm GMT
wat does this mean: "Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes, but after a certain point I don't care what its founded on. When i came back from the East last autmn I felt that i wanted the world to be in uniform and at a sort of moral attension forever; i wanted no more iotous excursions with privledged glimpseds into the human heat.
Guest   Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:49 am GMT
If you're stuck on the first few pages or on a passage like taht in the latest post, I'd recommend reading something else. Back in the '20s, perhaps folks had less to do, and could afford to waste lots of time trying to decipher prose like this.