Not Cricket!

Yawn   Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:34 am GMT
I'd rather watch paint dry than watch cricket. In addition, I'd rather watch cricket than read a post by Damian.
Gustave   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 am GMT
Damian's post presents all the clichés about cricket in the would-be humorous style of a school magazine.

It's a useful example of how not to write English.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 pm GMT
Yawn (so original!) and Gustave (from the other side of the Channel quite possibly):

I'm quite flattered to think that you've taken the time to read my posts, and even more so to see that you spare even more of your precious moments from your life to respond to them, however negatively. It's what my working world is all about and I thrive on it.

I've never seen either of your names before in here so I assume you are just passing through on your way to somewhere else, or merely masquerading in disguise as so many miscreants appear to do in easy come, easy go in AA (Antimoon Anonymous in this case).

Either way, I welcome your comments, not that I place too much validity on them seeing that you are complete "strangers" to this Forum.....under those handles anyway.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 pm GMT
PS: If you ever come across anyone here in Scotland using the expression: "It's just not cricket!", something similar using the word cricket in the same vein, then you would be listening to some "upper class" ex public school "something in the City" type from England, more than like as not!

It's just not something any Scottish bloke would ever say, not even if it was to save his life.
Gustave   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:12 pm GMT
< not that I place too much validity on them seeing that you are complete "strangers" to this Forum >

Reread your post in a few months' time, and you'll see that I'm right.
Scottish   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:31 pm GMT
Damian seems to think he is some ambassador for Scotland, that he represents and knows everything there is to know about Scotland. Well, he's entitled to say what he wants, but I am also Scottish and I am quite embarrassed by some of the things he says. Well, let's just say that not everyone in Scotland has tunnel vision, and that every nation has all kinds of people.

As for "that's not cricket", I shall try to use it from now on whenever possible, in spite of the fact that no one even threatened me with death!