phonemes

goldflake   Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:07 am GMT
I still am not being able to understand the difference between transcribing a word phonetically and phonemically.
I would appreciate help on this and also if the following words are transcribed bothe phonetically and phonemically I may be able to understand the difference.
1. transmit
2. compatibility
3. create
Tom   Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:09 am GMT
GOLDFLAKE   Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:18 am GMT
I would prefer a transcription of the words I have mentioned to get a clear picture of the difference between phonetic and phonemic transcription
Mxsmanic   Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:13 am GMT
Phonemic or broad transcription shows only symbols for phonemes; phonetic transcription shows symbols for all phones, whether they are phonemic or not. "Phonemic" means that a sound is important to distinguishing meaning.

The vowel sounds in "pin" and "pan" are phonemic when the words are contrasted, because they serve to distinguish between the two words, which have different meanings. These vowels are transcribed with distinctive symbols in phonemic transcriptions for this reason. The "p" consonant sounds in "pan" and "spy" are not phonemic, because even though they are not pronounced in exactly the same way (the "p" in pan is aspirated, whereas the "p" in spy is not), the difference between them does not serve to distinguish meaning in English. In a phonemic transcription, these two "p" sounds are transcribed identically. In a narrow phonetic transcription, however, the transcription will show that one is aspirate and the other is not.
goldflake   Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:25 am GMT
Dear Mxsmanic,Thank you for the explanation with examples. It is of great help. Thanks once again.
hasna mokt   Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:59 pm GMT
please could someone help me to understand how diphtongs are transcribed
Josh Lalonde   Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:30 am GMT
A diphthong is a vowel phoneme that involves a shift in quality between two main elements. You simply transcribe the two elements as if they were separate; the fact that they are in the same syllable shows that they are a diphthong. For example 'toy' [tOi]. It starts off with a low-mid back rounded vowel [O] and slides up to a near-high front vowel [I]. Likewise for 'eye' [aI] and 'cow' [kaU].
In non-rhotic accents like RP there are also centring diphthongs, mostly from historic /r/. For example: 'near' [nI@], 'square [skwE@], and 'cure' [kjU@] (though this is increasingly merged with [O:] in modern RP).
Sarah   Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:33 pm GMT
Hello,
I would like to share my experience with you since I am studying "The Study of The Language" subject this semester. There is a book called " The Study of The Language" by George Yule, I hope the latter name is correct enough, It has every thing about how to study the linguistics including Phonemes, Phonetics, Grammar, Syntax, etc...
Good Luck...
hasna mokt   Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:15 pm GMT
thanks for sarah and josh. now i understood what's a diphtong .i really appreciate your help good luck