Hindi or Spanish

G.G.   Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:58 am GMT
Hi, I speak English and French. I would like to study a third one.

Hindi or Spanish is a good choice, IMHO. Some people say that Spanish is not yet an important language, but I am not sure.

Thanks.
bibbis   Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:00 pm GMT
If you like languages, you might try Hindi. It's bound to become a whole lot more important as the century progresses.
Red Echelon   Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:56 pm GMT
Indi economy around the World is only at 1'3 trillion $

Spanish economy around the World is at 7'5 trillion $.

English 17'5
Japanese 4'7
Mandarín 3(4'5 all China)
Deutsche 4
French 3
Italian 2'2
Indulucia   Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:54 am GMT
<< Spanish economy around the World is at 7'5 trillion $. >>

Yes, but most of the Hispanics are living in poverty and will remain so. India's middle class outnumber the entire US population so the estimate is around 500 million.

Africa is developing and is about to overtake Spanish speaking America in terms of standard of living.
Qwaggmireland   Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 am GMT
bibbi wrote:

If you like languages, you might try Hindi. It's bound to become a whole lot more important as the century progresses.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lol only around 100 million South Asians speak Hindi. The vast majority of Sub-Himalayians don't even speak Hindi. There is no future for Hindi, Hindian will remain stuck as the official state ghetto language of the crapness that is Bollywood films.
Franco   Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:03 am GMT
<<Yes, but most of the Hispanics are living in poverty and will remain so. India's middle class outnumber the entire US population so the estimate is around 500 million.

>>

And? You think that there is not middle class in Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela and Spain too? If it wasn't the case how come the Spanish countries combined have more GDP than the Francophonie?.
Fynall   Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:07 pm GMT
In my opinion Spanish is a better choice then Hindi, but Japanese would be more interesting, and they are constantly invading the world markets...Plus Japanese isn't hard to learn (speaking, don't know about writting)
James   Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:16 pm GMT
I would go with Spanish because you already speak French. For someone who speaks French, Spanish will be easier to learn.
G.G.   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 pm GMT
<< And? You think that there is not middle class in Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela and Spain too? If it wasn't the case how come the Spanish countries combined have more GDP than the Francophonie?. >>

Paranoid!

Francophonie is out here. We're talking about Hindi vs Spanish here.
Hispano   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:42 pm GMT
<< Lol only around 100 million South Asians speak Hindi. The vast majority of Sub-Himalayians don't even speak Hindi. There is no future for Hindi, Hindian will remain stuck as the official state ghetto language of the crapness that is Bollywood films. >>

Don't be so ignorant but let me give you these data:

Native Speakers:
Hindi: 450 million vs Spanish: 330 million

Secondary speakers:
Hindi: 300 million vs Spanish: 30 million

Total Speakers:
Hindi: 75 million vs Spanish: 330 million

In addition Hindi is also widely spoken or understood in Southeast Asia, Middle East, and even Eastern Africa. Therefore, Hindi is more international than Spanish because the latter is confined only in Spain and Latin America. Quite a few non-hispanics speak it or use it as a lingua franca.
K.   Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:00 am GMT
All the Hindi speakers I've met speak English.
Maybe if you move to India, you should learn it.

Of course, there is a lot of fun music, dancing, etc. coming out of India.
Can you get free food at Indian restaurants if you impress them with your Hindi?

Living Language has a Hindi course now, I think. That may be telling.
Usually they only have "hot" languages in their larger (not just tourist) courses.
Blue Tier   Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:03 am GMT
French Exports around the World is only at $ 600 dollars

Hispanophone esports around the World is at $ 1 billion

Anglophone $1.7 trillion
Germanophone $1.4 trillion
Chinese $1.2 trillion
Hispanophone $1 trillion
Japanese $678 trillion
Francophone 600 billion
Italophone $502 billion
Netherlandic $502 billion

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_exp-economy-exports
Blue Tier   Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 am GMT
L'espagnols ne vaut rien aujourd'hui. L'exportation hispaniques(20 locuteurs secondaire) n'atteint pas $700 milliards de dollars, tandis que celle des francophones par exemple (250 millions de locuteurs secondaires) est splus de $1 billion. Et les russophones est parlée par 125+ millions de locuteurs secondaire, contre seulement 30 millions d'espagnol.
K.   Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:06 am GMT
That looks like a bad machine translation.
L.   Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:32 am GMT
<< That looks like a bad machine translation. >>

You probably mean the one posted in Spanish by Red Echelon, your alter ego.