Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese Similarities

Scorpio   Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 pm GMT
Finding easy or hard to learn a language doesn't come from the languages themselves, but your own taste of learning foreign languages. I knew some africans who spoke very well french or german, and a lot of spanish who speak very bad french.
Ren   Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:05 pm GMT
>. How would French help with Portuguese?

When I used to teach Brazilian Portuguese at a language school, it was much easier to teach a native french speaker to pronounce portuguese correctly than a hispanic.

Spanish is basic phonetically, only 5 vowel sounds. Portuguese has 14 and French 16. So even though many of the sounds btw portuguese and french diverge, they are still similar, and easier for them to replicate.
Thor   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:28 pm GMT
"So even though many of the sounds btw portuguese and french diverge, they are still similar, and easier for them to replicate. "

I'm not sure that "similar" is the right word. And i think it's easier for a french to replicate portuguese sounds (though some ones...), than the contrary.
PortxFr   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:44 pm GMT
Portuguese can imitate a French or vice versa
with the same naturalness and smoothness of one hippo dancing ballet
Thor   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:48 pm GMT
"Portuguese can imitate a French or vice versa
with the same naturalness and smoothness of one hippo dancing ballet "

There is a big portuguese community in France. And this is not what french can observe...
Ren   Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:27 am GMT
well...obviously everyone is different, also I was referring to Brazilian Portuguese. I got friends from france here in Rio, I do not speak french myself, but I have a couple who do, and the french said they speak it quite well, though they have an accent as the french also do speaking Brazilian Portuguese.

Again, everyone is different, just speaking from my experience.