Australian accents

Shark   Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:31 am GMT
According to wiki there are 3 basic Aussie accents: broad, general and cultivated. As I understand it, General is the accent spoken by normal people in the cities, and broad is more a rural, stereotypical accent portrayed in movies (they give the example of Paul Logan), whilst cultivated is similar to a RP British accent, and I think that Kylie Minogue speaks with that accent. I believe that Cultivated accent is very prominent in the state of Victoria, in the south of the country, the capital of which is Melbourne.

The Australian radio has a very nive program of about 15 minutes called Ockham's razor, and they provide transcripts of each episode.I've listened to all 4 programs for the month of January. The page is here:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/ockhamsrazor/default.htm

In each program the host Robyn Williams makes a little introduction and then a guest makes a speech for the rest of the program. To listen to each program you only have to click on the button "listen now". I would like that some native Australians, or some English speakers from other countries who are versed in Australian accent, listen to a little piece of each of the 4 programs and say which accent is employed by the host and by the 4 interviewees. This is what I believe:

Robyn Williams: I'm going to say General Australian.
Ray Norris: General Australian.
Chris Forbes-Ewans: Broad Australian
Mark Dodgson: General Australian
Margot Prior: I think is Cultivated, because of the British way of pronouncing "rated".

And as i understand, it's very dificcult to tell from which region in Australia is an accent, but I've read that people of Queensland tend to drawl, to talk slower than the rest. So if you are able to indicate from what state of Australia is the speaker, then is a bonus :)
Another Guest   Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 am GMT
What is your native dialect? I find "rom which region in Australia is an accent" rather than "rom which region in Australia an accent is" quite odd.