How to pronounce "coup"

s.a.   Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:12 am GMT
do we pronounce letter "p" or not?
Entbark   Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:45 am GMT
No, do not pronounce the "p."
Damian in Livingston   Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm GMT
Coup - meaning a brilliantly successful stroke or course of action - the "p" is silent, much as it is in words like "receipt" and "ptarmigan" and "psychology".

The English Language when spoken seems to have some kind of aversion to the letter "p"....blame the Ancient Greeks, especially Ptolemy the star gazer.

If you place "re" in front of that word "coup" - "recoup" - meaning to regain a former financial loss or to make good a previous loss of face or status or whatever - then the "p" is voiced.

Such is our wonderful and delightfully inconsistent English Language...I love it to bits, so much so that I take it to bed with me every night.
Jason   Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:04 pm GMT
Blame the French, not the Greeks! Many final consonants are silent in French, such as the P in "coup." "Recoup" comes from "recouper" -- the P is not the final letter (in the original French) and is pronounced.
s.a.   Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:03 pm GMT
so how should I pronounce coups ?
Carpenter Fred   Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:18 pm GMT
"Coup" in IPA is pronounced /ku:/ or nowadays it could be /kʉ:/...
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:30 pm GMT
Jason - I take on board what you say- right then, let's blame the French (why not - Brits - the English ones mostly - have always done just that and still do on so many issues!) but as it happens they in turn are blaming the Greeks, so what the hell. Anyway, I coudn't think of any ancient French philosopher or astronomer whose name began with a silent P. Can you?
Uriel   Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:40 am GMT
Coups is also pronounced without the P.
s.a.   Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:08 am GMT
Etymology :Middle English, to strike, from Middle French couper; more at COPE