Northern US Accent

Rom   Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:41 am GMT
After listening to someone from Minnesota speak I made a recording of myself attempting the accent. Could I pass for someone from the Midwest, or did I exaggerate the accent too much?

http://www.illuminati-order.net/b6283z32/a8b21d3e.wav
Mxsmanic   Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:10 am GMT
If you simply learn GAE, you can pass for someone from anywhere in the U.S.
Kirk   Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:09 am GMT
<<If you simply learn GAE, you can pass for someone from anywhere in the U.S. >>

But that's clearly not his purpose.
Travis   Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:43 am GMT
>>If you simply learn GAE, you can pass for someone from anywhere in the U.S.<<

"Nowhere in particular" does not mean "anywhere". For instance, one could *not* pass off as someone from here in Milwaukee, and it would be quite clear that one were either 1) not from here or 2) deliberately trying to sound as if one were from elsewhere. Considering the lack of any negative view of the dialect here locally, the former case would be far more likely than the latter.
Mxsmanic   Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:04 pm GMT
Nowhere in particular is a good place to be, generally speaking.
César   Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:35 pm GMT
Mmmm... I don't think so. Is your native language Spanish?
american nic   Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:33 am GMT
What do you mean accent? People in Minnesota don't have an accent!! Seriously, I'm proud someone out there is studying our speech, but you sounded a little artificial and forced.

The long-Os are very exaggerated (as if you were a character in the movie Fargo), just try pronouncing a GA 'o' then eliminate the slight u-glide and you'll have it. Your short-As (ask, snack, plastic) sounded like you were saying plya-stic, which is more of a Great Lakes thing (you'll find that sort of thing more in Wisconsin). 'Bag' was pretty good, but it was like there was a 'y' inserted before the 'a'...just say 'bake' then voice the 'k' to a 'g'. A few other things you may not of thought of: the short-e in 'Stella' sounded almost like a cross between a short-e and a short-u...I'm not sure if that's just part of your native accent, but make it sound more like a pure short-e and not as lazy-sounding as you made it (btw, are you from Boston?). The 'th' in the word 'with' is never voiced. Make it sound like the 'th' in thin, not like in this. Os in words like 'store' aren't 'au' sounds, they are actual Os (without the u-glide, of course). Snow isn't pronounced shnoe unless you're making fun of a Norwegian accent. 'Bob' was correct, give 'frog' the same vowel. The last vowel in Wednesday had a slight tilt to a schwa, which sounds lazy and like you're not from around here. Give it the same vowel as in bag. Good luck with your accent.
Franco   Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:03 am GMT
Why do you want to kill yourself linguistically? Why would I want to sound like an American of any type what so ever? Everybody hates America, do you want everybody to hate you too?

Now if you are smart and don't want to be identified as part of what is the laughing stock of the world go learn Scottish English.
Guest   Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:08 am GMT
or just speak english with your regional native accent !

most people like foreign accents rather than you cloning a fake one
Guest   Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:08 am GMT
or just speak english with your regional native accent !

most people like foreign accents rather than you cloning a fake one
Andrew Sword   Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:02 pm GMT
Hello....
I only wanted to learn the scottish accent by listening..

best wishs