good and look has the same 'oo' sound or not?

Clari   Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 am GMT
There seem to be three different sounds for oo
1. room /u:/
2. wood /u/
3. good - I cannot type its IPA symbol with the keyboard, let me just say it is a upside down text of the Greek uppercase omega character

I didn't recognize the third oo sound until recently. So which words with oo shall be pronounced like the oo in good?

Dictionaries seem to provide contradictory information on this.
For example, in a LONGMAN English dictionary, look and book has the same oo sound as the good

but in another dictionary, look and book should be sounded as /u/

So I am really confused about it. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Uriel   Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:36 am GMT
Look, book, good, wood, would, could, should, foot, put, took, shook -- all these have the same OO sound for me -- not a long U and not a short "uh", but somewhere in between.

But that may vary with accent! Some people might also add room and root and roof to that list, but I don't -- I pronounce all those with a long U. Conversely, there is probably someone out there who uses the long U for some of the "look, good, etc." words.
terik   Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:38 am GMT
there is a list here with words where /ʊ/ is the main vowel
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Rhymes:English:Stressed_on_/%CA%8A/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_high_back_vowels#Shortening_of_.2Fu.CB.90.2F_to_.2F.CA.8A.2F says some words had a Shortening of /uː/ to /ʊ/, like "book" [which for me, has the same vowel as "look"]

hope that helps
Steak 'n' Chips   Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 am GMT
Those are helpful links, terik! The trouble I have with such links is that the example depends on which accent you pronounce it in...

My pronunciation is the same as Uriel's, although I'm in the UK with a fairly neutral English accent.

The pronunciation, as Uriel has already said, can vary with region. In some areas on NW England, for instance, the vowel in "book" is like the vowel in "room", but that wouldn't apply to all of Uriel's examples. I wonder if there's a good regional accent variation dictionary anywhere?