Why do yanks compare American southern accent to English

Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 am GMT
Do you *really* want to know? You may not like the response too much.....
Jasper   Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:22 pm GMT
Damian, maybe it'll soften the blow somewhat if another American tells her.

Gigi, they don't like General American English too much, because it sounds either too nasal, too plain/boring, or both.

As we have already discussed, many of them find various Southern accents very pleasant, and if you didn't catch the conversation earlier, it's been posited that many of the vowel sounds are the same.

I'm going to stick my neck out here. I have always found most New York City accents very pleasant, indeed, while most General American speakers seem to despise it.
Uriel   Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:31 am GMT
Well, let's not generalize too much here; I've heard other people say on other sites that they don't mind the American accent at all, and simply consider it different but neutral. As they say, your mileage may vary.
GiGi   Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 pm GMT
Neutral... Now that's a surprise.
GiGi   Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:02 am GMT
What about the "redneck" or "hillbilly" type southern accent? (Shudders)
Jasper   Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:53 pm GMT
Gigi: do you mean non-rhotic, "plantation" Southern English? Or Southern Inland English (like Texas)? Or Appalachian English? (There are many sub-categories.)

It has already been noted that they find the first two varieties pleasant, generally speaking. We further hypothesized that this is because many of the vowel sounds between BE and SE are the same, with Standard American English the "odd man out", linguistically speaking.

I don't know what they think of Appalachian English. I don't think very many of them have been exposed to the most extreme versions.

I once posted a link to a sample of the most extreme versions right here on Antimoon. Most of the forumposters had a great deal of difficulty understanding the speaker, but no one spoke of the aesthetics of the dialect.
Reaney   Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm GMT
<Gigi, they don't like General American English too much, because it sounds either too nasal, too plain/boring, or both. As we have already discussed, many of them find various Southern accents very pleasant, and if you didn't catch the conversation earlier, it's been posited that many of the vowel sounds are the same. >

This is surely based on (at best) the comments of a very few people; possibly flippant, tendentious, or deliberately contrary comments, at that.
GiGi   Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:28 am GMT
I ment the Appalachian one. Here in the States, many find most southern accents to sound , like an uneducated, ignorant person, fair or unfair, mostly based on perception. My mother hated all southern accents as she said they sounded like racists. That is an unfair gut reaction. When we had Welsh friends visit us, they prefered my accent over hers, which surprised us both. They said it was because she had a strong N.Y.C. Accent, mine is very slight, & that the way she pronounced her vowels was similar to the way they're pronounced in the UK, so mine seemed more "American". Neither of us could differentiate the Welsh accent from the English. I agree with that post about Americans having the Kate Beckenslales in mind, I doubt those from liverpool, or with Cockney accents get complements from Americans very often.
Does anyone here know what accent the blonde secretary on AbFab has? I can't recall her name, but it was odd, yet sort of pleasant.
LOL! Who's the racist?   Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:35 am GMT
<<My mother hated all southern accents as she said they sounded like racists. That is an unfair gut reaction.>>

LOL! Who's the racist?
Jasper   Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:39 am GMT
gigi, that's funny, because I prefer the NYC to General American English, but I couldn't tell you why; I just think it's more pleasant. I admit that this opinion is shared by very few people.

Apropos the Appalachian dialect, I don't think very many Europeans have heard it, unless you count Dolly Parton. As I said before, I posted a sample of it once, and few people on Antimoon could even understand it. No one discussed its (dubious) aesthetic value.

Personally, as a person who grew up on the isogloss between SIE and Appalachian English, I think the dialect sounds terrible, and I thought so even then. (However, from a linguistic point of view, it's very interesting.)
Jasper   Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 am GMT
Oh, by the way:

It has been previously revealed on Antimoon that the daffy blond secretary on AbFad, whose hair looks like a rooster, is from Lancashire.

I don't understand a word that comes out of her mouth.
GiGi   Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:23 am GMT
Oh, yes! Her name was Bubble! She was hiarious! I understood her, but couldn't make out much of what Magda was sayin, I wished I could, it seemed it would be VERY funny. I found her way of speaking kind of hypnotic. Not so much the accent, as the manner.
I can see no comparison between any Brittish accent to an American Southern one, but do with a Mid Atlantic (such as Frasier & Niles Crane) I mean, even the name Niles, what American is named Niles? I believe the Mid Atlantic is an affectation anyway, isn't it?
GiGi   Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:32 am GMT
One more thing,...
I would pay my very last dollar to see a Brittish person call a Southerner a "Yank" OH THE HILARITY OF IT ALL!!!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 am GMT
The epic 1939 film "Gone With the Wind" is frequently being unearthed from the arhcives, dusted down and shown on certain digital TV channels here in the UK....I have seen it once and it seemed to go on for ever, but it's a great film nonetheless, very gripping and giving Brits a very good insight into a tragic period of American history, and the reasons behind it all.

Most Brits must surely have seen it at some stage and because of this I doubt very much indeed that any of them would even contemplate addressing as a Yank any American with an obvious Southern accent, so I reckon your last dollar can remain safely in your wallet (or purse).

For a film which features such a very American piece of history it's a wee bit strange that the actor and actress playing two of the four main characters in GWTW were actually British....Leslie Howard and Vivien Leigh. To me their American accents sounded very plausible indeed, especially the Southern one voiced by Vivien Leigh as the impish Scarlett O'Hara which in turn is about the most Irish of surnames.

One of the other two main lead characters was Olivia de Havilland...without checking I'm not sure if she had some kind of British connection, too.

Maybe all the possible American nominees for the parts ultimately offered to those two British actors were otherwise engaged. I still think it strange that two Brits became involved in a piece of history that was so very, very American....their Civil War.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:20 am GMT
Jasper says:

***I don't understand a word that comes out of her mouth***

Neither can most people who live south of Birmingham, Jasper.....the Birmingham in England I mean, not the one in Alabama. I'd love to hear a discussion between people from those two Birminghams though......some hilarity there I would reckon, not to mention total confusion.