Do native speakers wing it?

Tpol   Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:37 pm GMT
Do native speakers often just guess the pronunciation of even relatively common words? I recently asked a native whether it was "pree-mordial" or "prai-mordial", and he said that he didn't know, and that no one would notice or care which one you said. Is that true? So, do native speakers wing it all the time in pronunciation or what?
@Tpol   Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:50 pm GMT
Yes.

You could define a native speaker as someone who can always wing it.
jay   Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30 am GMT
Native English speakers don't "wing-it". They pronounce words the way they were taught to say it or the way they've heard others pronounce them. If neither of those apply, then they base it on previously established patterns or similar sounding words.

For US speakers, the "pri" has the long 'i' sound, as in private, privacy, primate, primary, etc.
Uriel   Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:34 am GMT
Yes, native speakers wing it when confronted with words they either aren't familiar with or have encountered in print but never heard said out loud. Yes, jay is right in that there is also common words that have some variation in acceptable pronunciations, but there are also plenty of times when you just aren't quite sure where to put the stress or whether vowels are long or short, mainly in the more uncommon words.
Lechat   Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:46 pm GMT
That's a interesting question. Could I postulate there is no strong phonological difference between these two sounds?
I mean would a native understand someone saying "pree-mordial" instead of "prai-mordial"? What about other words?
@jay   Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:30 pm GMT
<Native English speakers don't "wing-it".>

But:

<If neither of those apply, then they base it on previously established patterns or similar sounding words. >

That sounds like "winging it" to me, Jay.
Another Guest   Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:02 am GMT
<<That's a interesting question. Could I postulate there is no strong phonological difference between these two sounds?
I mean would a native understand someone saying "pree-mordial" instead of "prai-mordial"? What about other words?>>

Those are separate issues. Just because we can understand doesn't mean there is no phonological difference.
Edward Teach   Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:31 am GMT
I wing it on everything.

Best way in my opinion.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:14 pm GMT
Of course native speakers wing it.....we all do and we more or less wing it through life anyway to some degree, and within reason of course.....life would be very difficult indeed if we had to pre-plan or ponder at length about anything we need to do or even say. Life is all about making mistakes and then learning from them.

As for the pronunciation of words - such as primordial - most people initially pronounce it the way they think it should be pronounced until they realise the generally accepted form which, in this case, is "PRY-mordial", at least here in the UK.

Maybe elsewhere in the ESW they pronounce it differently.

Brits who have gone to live in America, for instance, often take the easy option and use the American way of saying things in English if only to avoid either confusion or adverse comments of any kind from their new found colleagues, neighbours and friends....life is easier that way...when in Rome and all that kind of stuff.
Steak 'n' Chips   Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:15 pm GMT
Absolutely! Being able to wing it it virtually the definition of being a native speaker, n'est-ce pas?

By the way, if someone said "pree-mordial" I'd suppress a snigger.
Quintus   Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:55 pm GMT
Do keep in mind that "prim-ordial" is often heard (short i).

Doubtless that is the older pronunciation from Shakespeare's day and thus no laughing matter as to venerability.
CP   Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:35 am GMT
I always wing it, which sometimes ends in embarrassment. I still remember the first time I said "epitome" outloud without knowing the proper pronunciation. Yikes.
Revolutionary   Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 am GMT
I pronounce those words wrong on purpose and I'm not ashamed of it. If you can't change the spelling, change the pronunciation.
Pete from Peru   Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:52 pm GMT
CP:

<<I always wing it, which sometimes ends in embarrassment. I still remember the first time I said "epitome" outloud without knowing the proper pronunciation. Yikes.>>

That's interesting haha. I saw this word and I thought it was pronounced: "EH - pi - tome" but I checked the dictionary and it was in fact "i - PI - ter - mee"

For some reason, I'm glad that also native speakers sometimes make these kind of mistakes as well hahaha.
Billy   Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:22 pm GMT
Of course we do!