Your favorite UK accent (pick 1 of these3)

Milton   Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:58 pm GMT
Which is your favorite, and why?

Cheryl Coke (Geordie)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPJajeFG08

Nadine Coyle (Northern Irish)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUgGF-x7Zo

Sophie Ellis Bextor (RP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRS9nRDDkLo

Sophie's accent seems very cold, distant and pretentious.
Nadine's accent is cute and warm, but I find Cheryl's accent
better: extremely warm and pleasant.
mati:   Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:12 pm GMT
geordie - meh
N.irish - meh
RP - meh

im partial to bristol and welsh accents
.   Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 pm GMT
Nadine's sounds Southern.......
The Observer   Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:40 pm GMT
Sophie Ellis Bextor.

That was one lovely woman, absolutely stunning!! her accent? as classy as she's lovely.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:31 pm GMT
Actually it's Cheryl Cole....she is a Geordie, no doubt about that...and from Newcastle-upon-Tyne itself, around which major city of the North East of England the accent is based, and it clearly shows in her voice. In my eyes she wins in the pulchritude stakes too.

It was to Newcastle uni that I went to my first interview before finally settling for Leeds....I will never forget the two friendly Geordies (m & f) who I first met at the reception desk there when I first arrived, both with accents of course the same as Cheryl's in the clip, and as they were helpfulness and friendliness personified I will opt for this one out of the three, although I do rather like...........

......Nadine Coyle's Northern Irish tones.....she comes from Londonderry, or simply Derry as it is popularly known...in the extreme north west corner of Northern Ireland, close to the border with Donegal (pr: "DONNY-gaul") in the Republic of Ireland. Her accent exudes open friendliness too.......she gets my No 2 vote.

...but as for the lass from the South East of England....hmmmm....Sophie Ellis-Bextor.....from Hampton, Middlesex (actually part of Greater London)....as she is the last one left she gets my vote No 3 but if you'd included a lass from Edinburgh or one from Cardiff (Wales) it would have been No 3 and No 4 in that order and Miss Ellis-Bextor following on from behind somewhere....when being interviewed she never seems to look relaxed, somehow sort of tensed up a lot of the time, a wee bit affected in a self conscious way, and although she speaks with a distinct Southern English accent it can waver between her own version of RPEE and something rather peculiar in my Scottish ear...not quite RP and not quite Estuary......but that's my opinion....

.....but anyway as I am prone to do I shall digress here as I am more interested now in offering what can only be described as a kind of peace offering on my part.....this was actually recorded in Edinburgh as part of the Live 8 concerts a wee while back in time, the one here in Edinburgh being the last one held.....featuring some Methuselah types from England......enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11UUVzlI6hI&feature=PlayList&p=11CA6FC3B88C7ACD&index=0
Uriel   Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:37 am GMT
Number one was my favorite, but number two got points for being one of the strangest I've heard -- I could not predict a single vowel that came out of her mouth! It wasn't unpleasant, just unfamiliar. It veered from Irish to almost Scottish to almost Deep South in places -- sometimes all in the same sentence. Number three (sorry!) came in as ho hum and generic, my idea of the typical English accent. All three ladies were lovely and seemed very nice (well, of course they were probably all on their best behavior), so none of this reflected badly on anyone's first impression -- I'm afraid I have heard of none of them before now.
Armada   Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 am GMT
Yorkshire accent.

My least favourite accent is Scottish accent.
@Milton   Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:52 am GMT
SEB's accent is not entirely RP: she generally speaks further forward in the mouth, in a (consciously?) "careless" variant.

<Sophie's accent seems very cold, distant and pretentious. Nadine's accent is cute and warm, but I find Cheryl's accent better: extremely warm and pleasant.>

But are you talking about the accents, or the girls themselves?
Armada   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:41 pm GMT
* Cums on Uriel

UUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Pete from Peru   Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:45 pm GMT
1st: Nadine Coyle. This girl's accent was quite interesting. I particularly liked her dipthongs in the words "nice" "about". And there were so many rothic sounds, I think more than the classic "er", "ur", "or", "ar" that I hear most often in rothic accents... It was very interesting.

2nd: The guy Jonathan Ross who was interviewing Cheryl. He's got some sort of London accent. I liked it.

3rd: Cheryl Cole. I thought it was OK, not particularly nice, but not unpleasant either. I'd like to know what features of this accent make her speech warm and pleasant to you guys?

4th: Sophie Ellis. Liked the lady very much but didn't like her accent at all.
Damian London SW15   Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 pm GMT
Jonathan Ross - he is not at all a broadcaster I particularly like in any way at all - in fact I make a point of avoiding any program he is involved with, most of which he presents himself anyway, as in that interview with the unfortunate Cheryl Cole, the unfortunate wife of that muppet Ashley Cole.

What Jonathan Woss (sorry - I mean Ross) did to poor old Andrew Sachs (who played the Spanish waiter Manuel in "Fawlty Towers") along with that other tosser whose name i can't bring to mind here, was unforgiveable..it was despicable, but there you go....Woss (sorry, I mean Ross) maks a point of being as controversially objectionable in a variety of ways.

Anyway, as I have intimated here Jonathan Ross has a problem with his vocalised Rs....a sort of labiodental problem which means that his Rs often comes out as Ws....which means that he really does call himself Jonathan Woss. If he ever goes to Reading then he thinks he is in Wedding, where each morning he will have a weally nice cup of coffee at bweakfast before he goes out to twawl the stweets of Wedding for the purposes of his pwogwam on TB.

Jonathan Ross does come from London...he is weally an East Ender in effect and it shows in his widiculous accent...probably he comes from Wedbwidge or Wotherhithe or some such part of East London.

I may be wong here but this labiodental approximant pwoblem of his (as they call it) seems to be more of a Southern England pwoblem than that elsewhere in the UK, and I've no idea why.....it certainly seems to be the case in Kent, which as as far south east in England as you can get before getting wet as you plunge off any one of the Seven Sisters into the punding waves below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/voices2005/labio_dentals.shtml
Damian London SW15   Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:04 pm GMT
Waves don't pund - they pound.
Jesse   Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:14 am GMT
<Which is your favorite, and why?>

The Geordie accent for me, nice and warm.

That's it.
Uriel   Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:36 am GMT
<<What Jonathan Woss (sorry - I mean Ross) did to poor old Andrew Sachs (who played the Spanish waiter Manuel in "Fawlty Towers") along with that other tosser whose name i can't bring to mind here, was unforgiveable..it was despicable, but there you go....Woss (sorry, I mean Ross) maks a point of being as controversially objectionable in a variety of ways. >>

....And since the rest of us have never heard of him, are you going to let us in on what this little transgression might have been? Curious!

<<3rd: Cheryl Cole. I thought it was OK, not particularly nice, but not unpleasant either. I'd like to know what features of this accent make her speech warm and pleasant to you guys? >>

It's cute because it's got a weird singsong quality, a lot like Irish, which usually also gets points for cuteness and charm. I sort of enjoyed the way her long I's became long A's, so that her "time" sounded like "tame".
Damian London NW3   Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 am GMT
***are you going to let us in on what this little transgression might have been? Curious!***

Uriel is curious to know what transpired between Jonathan Ross and that other tosser* (called Russell Brand as I now recall..another Londoner) and their victim, the actor Andrew Sachs, a very decent man who is in his 70s and who, as a professional, has played many parts but is mostly remembered for playing the hapless Spanish waiter Manuel, from Barcelona, in the TV series "Fawlty Towers", a chaotic lunatic asylum of a Torquay hotel run by the manic Basil Fawlty, played by John Cleese, and his long suffering wife Sybil, played by Prunella Scales.

These two lowlife Londonspeak idiots - Ross and Brand - appeared in this live TV program during which they tried to contact Mr Sachs by ringing his home telehone number only to be connected to his answerphone service on which they left a whole array of truly nasty messages involving Mr Sachs' granddaughter.

All this on BBC TV, a supposedly respectable broadcasting medium not only here in the UK but worldwide.......rightly enough the BBC was subsequently massively overwhelmed with complaints from the UK public because of the objectionable content of the call made by Ross and Brand to an elderly, innocent man and the manner in which it was delivered on live TV, and furthermore, involving an equally innocent young girl.

Anyway, judge for yourself in this TY clip featuring this episode......amazingly, neither Ross nor Brand were sacked by the BBC which was a travesty in itself, but both of these nasty characters were forced to apologise to the unfortunate, unwitting Andrew Sachs....a well spoken, professional man, as very much opposed to these two not so well spoken, often foul mouthed, lowlife, back-street, side alley London scumbags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=U7IHJ66wj9g