"the last offering"

Lenni   Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:35 am GMT
I need some help, please, with the phrase "the last offering".
"The writer deserves the last offering: she says that..."
I suppose, it means that we should be thankful for her words but I am not sure.
Thanks beforehand.
Quintus   Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:28 am GMT
Without further context being furnished by you, Lenni, I think it means :

[A=the principal writer being quoted by Lenni ; B=the deserving writer who "says that ..."]

This female writer B (who is the subject of a journalistic profile written by A, apparently) should herself be given the opportunity for a final word of comment to be quoted or paraphrased at the end of this article (written by A) because, after all, the article is about her (B) ; and A, the person writing the article (in which writer B is being quoted or paraphrased) is the one "offering" the quotation or paraphrase to the reader in this case.

Thus, as a final word, A is about to "offer" the reader what B "says". That is the offering being made (by A). Gratitude (thankfulness) doesn't have much to do with it, Lenni. Rather, due merit and appropriate placement of a quotation or paraphrase from B as a capper --prominently and culminatively at the end of A's article-- is what this is all about.

However, the usage is a bit unusual for English. Is it perhaps a translation from German (the noun das Opfer) ?

A more naturally idiomatic construction in English would be :
"The writer herself deserves to have the last word : she says that ..."
Lenni   Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:46 pm GMT
Quintus,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation.
(The text is not a translation.)
Billy   Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:45 pm GMT
Forget the A's and B's - WTF is all that about!!! - it just means "the last word" - "the final say in the matter"
Quintus   Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:14 am GMT
>>it just means "the last word" - "the final say in the matter">>

No, it does not mean either one, Billy.

"The last offering" is here referring to the placement of what is merely literally "the last word"-- "offering" does not refer to the last word itself, which is about to be quoted or paraphrased in the example Lenni gives.

Writer A thinks Writer B's quote or paraphrase "deserves" prominent placement in the article, so Writer A is giving us precisely this contextual offering (i. e., giving it to the readers) in an article about Writer B, who is at the same time --but separately, mind you-- being given (in the literal sequential sense only) "the last word" on the matter at hand, but certainly not "the final say in the matter"-- that's a phrase coloured by a sense of ultimate executive or veto power, a privilege which surely goes to Writer A or more likely to the article's editor.

Let the record show that Writer A's last offering was to the readers - and that the opportunity for a last word was then given immediately thereafter to Writer B - but they are two different phenomena here, Wullie.

`They told me you had been to her,
And mentioned me to him:
She gave me a good character,
But said I could not swim.

He sent them word I had not gone
(We know it to be true):
If she should push the matter on,
What would become of you?

I gave her one, they gave him two,
You gave us three or more;
They all returned from him to you,
Though they were mine before.

If I or she should chance to be
Involved in this affair,
He trusts to you to set them free,
Exactly as we were.

My notion was that you had been
(Before she had this fit)
An obstacle that came between
Him, and ourselves, and it.

Don't let him know she liked them best,
For this must ever be
A secret, kept from all the rest,
Between yourself and me.'

`That's the most important piece of evidence we've heard yet,' said the King, rubbing his hands; `so now let the jury--'

`If any one of them can explain it,' said Alice, (she had grown so large in the last few minutes that she wasn't a bit afraid of interrupting him,) `I'll give him sixpence. I don't believe there's an atom of meaning in it.'

The jury all wrote down on their slates, `She doesn't believe there's an atom of meaning in it,' but none of them attempted to explain the paper.

`If there's no meaning in it,' said the King, `that saves a world of trouble, you know, as we needn't try to find any. And yet I don't know,' he went on, spreading out the verses on his knee, and looking at them with one eye; `I seem to see some meaning in them, after all. "--Said I could not swim--" you can't swim, can you?' he added, turning to the Knave.

The Knave shook his head sadly. `Do I look like it?' he said. (Which he certainly did NOT, being made entirely of cardboard.)

`All right, so far,' said the King, and he went on muttering over the verses to himself: `"We know it to be true--" that's the jury, of course-- "I gave her one, they gave him two--" why, that must be what he did with the tarts, you know--'

`But, it goes on "They all returned from him to you,"' said Alice.

`Why, there they are!' said the King triumphantly, pointing to the tarts on the table. `Nothing can be clearer than that. Then again--"Before she had this fit--" you never had fits, my dear, I think?' he said to the Queen.

`Never!' said the Queen furiously, throwing an inkstand at the Lizard as she spoke. (The unfortunate little Bill had left off writing on his slate with one finger, as he found it made no mark; but he now hastily began again, using the ink, that was trickling down his face, as long as it lasted.)

`Then the words don't fit you,' said the King, looking round the court with a smile. There was a dead silence.