Which accent does Carey Mulligan speak?

Trang   Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:50 pm GMT
I wonder what kind of accent does actress Carey Mulligan in the Oscar buzz The Education speak?
Here's a video of her interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBWQGoiQals&feature=fvsr
Billy   Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:10 pm GMT
In the film she has a traditional RP accent (Received Pronunciation). It's an English associated with the upper classes or educated people in England. In the interview - her genuine accent is less posh but still RP, and more like a general nondescript English accent, if there is such a thing!
Trang   Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:15 pm GMT
thank you for your explanation. Is her natural accent called Estuary?
Billy   Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 pm GMT
Yes, Estuary English is pretty accurate. If you asked me where she was from, I'd say probably the South East - but she could be from almost anywhere in England, and she might have modified her local accent to be closer to RP/Estuary English. She is an actor, and she has probably had vocal training of one sort or another.

RP has a kind of old fashioned sound to it in comparison to the modern Estuary variety. Even in the UK, RP can sound pretty stand-offish. It's not even as popular as it once was amongst the upper clases. Educated Estuary English is more or less the defacto English accent these days - heard on TV, radio, movies etc.