How do you be?...possible in English

@???   Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:49 pm GMT
<À confirmer/démentir/préciser par nos amis anglophones maternels>

It's an interesting analysis. These forms are fine:

"Why don't you be quiet for a change."
"Do be quiet!"

But not the original example.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:11 am GMT
***Use of 'be' with 'I' in Southeast England has been going on since Old English times...***

Several years ago my male cousin (Scottish like me) married an English lassie and the wedding took place in her home town on the banks of the River Thames called Wallingford, Oxfordshire, not too far south of Oxford city itself.

At the reception I got to talk to quite a lot of people who were family and friends of the bride many of whom came from that locality and from the adjoining county of Berkshire (which is pronounced "BARK-shuh" here in the UK, except perhaps up here in Scotland where it may well be pronounced as "BARK-shierrr).

One of the guests was a really elderly gentleman who I immediately noticed had what I can best described as a rustic accent of that part of rural South East England - or perhaps Central Southern England to be more geographically precise. It was quite rhotic as well, with the characteristic "Rs" similar to those of the English West Country - Bristol, Somerset and down through Dorset and Devon and down into Cornwall.

It was obvious that his advanced age was reflected in his accent as it is a fact that very few people under the age of 60 or so speak the same was as he did......very much an accent that may well have been commonplace in rural Southern England 40, 50 and more years ago.

Anyway, I had a brief chat with him and I mentioned his accent (as I would) and he confirmed to me that he had lived in that area all his life and he actually said "Oi be Berkshire born an' bred, oi be!"

Actually he now lives in Oxfordshire, but in his younger days that particular part of present day Oxfordshire used to be part of Berkshire, but apparently in the 1970s sometime they re-organised Local Government in England and that involved transferring a part of old Berkshire into the new Oxfordshire by redrawing the border between the two counties.

This old geezer made me chuckle when he said that it was never quite the same once they changed the boundaries around as he swore blind that the winters are colder in Oxfordshire and they used to be in Berkshire.
blah   Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:53 pm GMT
"I hate it when I be sick."

This type of construction is used in African American English.
ellachan91   Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 am GMT