What Germanic language sounds more Romance?

Cornelius   Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 am GMT
Irish English?
GuestUser   Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:49 am GMT
English or Swedish.
Erlkonig   Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 am GMT
<<English or Swedish.>>

No Germanic language sounds particularly Romance but there are some vowel-friendly ones (such as English and Swedish). However English phonology is very distinct and very "un-Romance" even more than German one (especially the vowels and the "r"). Swedish has more similarities like clearer vowels and rolled "r" but depends very much of dialect.
IMHO the most Romance sounding Germanic language is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBPH446o0EA
hoellenhund   Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 pm GMT
I think that Icelandic sounds a bit like Italian.
Pete from Peru   Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 pm GMT
Interesting question!!!

I don't know. Being a native Spanish speaker and having studied the basics of many other romance languages, I can tell immediately when something is NOT ROMANCE. I can even distinguish Standard Romanian from Slavic languages now. However I still struggle with telling Moldovan (Romanian in Moldova) from Russian or others.

Anyway, if I knew nothing but Spanish, I think the most Romance sounding to me would be English with a rural Scottish accent with all the "R" or maybe English spoken with a broad Indian accent.

Still, even though I can't understand some Scottish accents, they still sound definetely Germanic to me now.

I'd dare say that no-Germanic language sounds Romance. But I can't quite explain why.

Regards
pierrot   Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:56 pm GMT
I thought I'd share my own point of view.
My native language is French, which I think sounds quite different to the other major Romance languages, so to me they all pretty much sound the same. I can tell them apart, but I'll need to listen closely to determine which one is being spoken. Especially between Spanish, Italian, Catalan and Romanian. They all sound like a fast staccato with rolled R's. I can pick out Brazilian Portuguese right away, but European Portuguese is much harder to recognize.

I might be getting off topic here. Icelandic can sound quite Romance sometimes, and Swedish too when it's spoken fast (as in this famous vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhi5F3_cPj0). Except it's got all those obviously non-Romance vowels that Icelandic has much fewer of.
And I think Norwegian doesn't sound Germanic at all, but it doesn't sound Romance either. Just... silly and happy.
Franco   Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:27 pm GMT
That sounds more like English with Spanish accent.