how much do US citizens know about their own language?

Sorin   Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:24 am GMT
Do some Americans really write the words as they pronounce them?? :)) like Nelly's latest hit N'Dey Say. Endei sei :)
Adam   Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:37 am GMT
"The school system in England tends to be good, but we still get people who finish their education unable to put more than a simple sentence together. Sometimes when I watch US news, I'm astounded in interviews by the range of vocabulary of some people from the most deprived social backgrounds. "

England/Wales ranks 4th in the world for maths and science grades. The US ranks only 24th.
Guest   Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:46 am GMT
"""The Brits don’t associated it either ! …Because they are Euro sceptic ! """

Ah I still remember the French 'NON' for the EU constitution,do you remember? It happened just before the French civil war riots in Paris.

WHO'S SCEPTIC?!
George Washington   Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:02 pm GMT
<As for France being an "enemy" ... hardly. Political adversary on one particular issue perhaps, but even that conflict is what, all of three or four years old?>

Franco-American, political conflict, adversary, and the cold relations started 250 ago, my dear! Before your European ancestors emigrated to America.

Jesus Christ! You’ve never heard of French and Indian Wars ?

“The French Conflict in North America (1754-1763) ,then quickly became apparent that the British and French colonists could not co-exist. In 1754, a young Virginia officer named George Washington was returning from an unsuccessful diplomatic mission demanding the French leave the upper Allegheny, when he saw an ideal site for the construction of a British fort. The French threw the British out and finished the garrison, renaming it in honour of Duquesne.”

The tensions and cold relations, started even before your first president : George Washington !

Honestly, how can you say only 3-4 years ? Are you from Hawaii ?
Uriel   Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:17 pm GMT
Yes, I've heard of the French and Indian War. We also had TWO wars with the British, and we aren't bombing the UK right now, are we? We seem to be cool with Germany, Japan, and Spain these days as well. The past does not equal the present.

Your definition of "enemy" and mine may be different. I reserve the word for the other side of an actual full-force conflict, not a little political back-biting. The designation "enemy" also doesn't linger past the end of the conflict.
Uriel   Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:37 am GMT
<<Honestly, how can you say only 3-4 years ? Are you from Hawaii ? >>

And what would being from Hawaii have to do with anything?
Truth   Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:13 pm GMT
Hey all,

I just wanted to know how much percentage of Americans are Americans?

To be more specific, almost no white person is an American as of the present day as all have emerged from Europe. I have heard that when columbus discovered America, the Europeons started to arrive in America and I feel all americans (whites(?)) are Europeons. Although this is a tuff information to accept, Americans should accept this. Also the native Americas are the american Indians.

How many of them accept this??? Please do not feel offended, this is just a topic of discussion.

Thanks.
Truth   Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:04 pm GMT
No one to forum on this topic?
Uriel   Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:05 pm GMT
I would accept that I am of European descent, but given the cultural and geographic separations between the modern inhabitants of Europe and the Americas, I don't think I would call myself "European" as such.

It can also be argued that the indigenous peoples of North and South America were themselves transplants from Asia, and of course, we are all descended from an original African gene pool that dispersed later, so I think it's a little silly to quibble over these things -- just call people by the name of where they live NOW, not where their ancestors lived. An Iroquois born and raised in France would be European, right? You certainly couldn't call him an inhabitant of a continent he's never seen, just based on his genetics.
Truth   Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
Uriel,

Do not take my words wrong. I just read the previous conversations which were leading to a literal conflict. I wanted to say that everyone in this world is related to each other. Either by ancestors, or by their similarity in culture, or others. Why should there arise a conflict as who is dominating. But also I would emphasize that Americans do try dominating others. May be not all, but, majority of the group. If you agree on this, fine, else, I do not want to continue with the fight. :P

Thanks and Cheers.
Truth   Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:22 pm GMT
And I wrote on this just because there was a discussion on the previous war and battles which you had happened. Hopefully, then you don need to <quibble> on this too. Right?

:)
Truth   Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:24 pm GMT
<<which you had happened>> typo
which had happened
Guest   Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:34 pm GMT
<An Iroquois born and raised in France would be European, right?>

NEVER ! ONLY the citizenship is European, which is a condition of being a resident of any European country.

But never considered European national.
Uriel   Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:33 pm GMT
I didn't know we were fighting about anything, Truth; I just thought you wanted to know if white Americans consider themselves European.

Guest: why not? I am used to "national" and "citizen" meaning the same thing. Surely all the Europeans of black, East Asian, or Middle Eastern heritage who were born and raised in Europe are just as "European" as the next person? That's the way it works here.
Cro Magnon   Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:41 pm GMT
FWIW, I definitely do NOT consider myself European. The fact that most of my distant ancestors were is irrelevant. Culturally, I'm 100% American.