Is Cornish a real language or simply an artificial language?

???   Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:27 am GMT
From what I can gather Cornish has been "revived" from studying Old Cornish literature and estimating pronounciation. At a certain point the language did die out, along with records of how it really sounded.

However, despite this, is Cornish really any less of a language than Modern Hebrew is? Essentially Modern Hebrew came from studying old hebrew tests and estimating pronounciation. Today Hebrew is considered very much a real language, but essentially its a revived language.

Cheers
~   Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:00 pm GMT
Who cares.
Though I would love to learn it.
Huh?   Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm GMT
If the comeback of Cornish is itself working off from written old Cornish, then, in which way is Cornish an artificial language. Do you not mean, they know how Cornish looks and stuff but are guessworking it's sound?
fraz   Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:33 pm GMT
There are Cornish language revival groups who speak the language among themselves and there may possibly be a Cornish-medium primary school to instill the language in youngsters. If the revivalists speak Cornish with their own kids then I suppose they must be a new-age of native speakers.

I'm not sure if Hebrew actually died out, but it was certainly rescued from a hopeless position. But I suppose it was something of a special case. Come to think of it, the most common language among the inhabitants of the new Israeli state was probably German. Now that would have been a bitter pill to swallow!
CRUSH KERNOW   Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 pm GMT
german
and
genocide
and
bitter
and
pill
and
swallow
and
Namibia
hehehehe
Ignobo   Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:02 am GMT
Cornish is as much a "real language" as Modern Hebrew is. At the time of the Jews moving back to Palestine, none spoke Hebrew as a first language, and those who did speak it, spoke only what was written about in their holy scriptures. There was no word for "gasoline" or "steam engine" (or "clitoris" for that matter--the Modern Hebrew word translates to "tickle spot") in Ancient Hebrew, they all had to be created for Modern Hebrew.
Puta   Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:08 am GMT
What about swearwords? Is it true they all swear in Russian?
Steak 'n' Chips   Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 pm GMT
I'm sure i remember a dacde or two ago hearing on the news that the last Cornish native speaker had died. Is it being revived now?

As I understand it, Breton is an old offshoot of Cornish, or at least an offshoot of one of the Brythonic Celtic languages, since the Breton-speaking people of France apparently originally came from southern Britain. Perhaps if there is actually a revivalist movement, they could team with the Bretons to guide pronunciation, and pick up modern usage words?
PARISIEN   Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:33 pm GMT
<< Perhaps if there is actually a revivalist movement, they could team with the Bretons to guide pronunciation, and pick up modern usage words? >>

-- It's just what they did. Revived Cornish was given a pronouciation strongly similar to Breton, especially as far as the un-British front rounded vowels are concerned:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_language#Vowels
--   Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:46 pm GMT
<<I'm sure i remember a dacde or two ago hearing on the news that the last Cornish native speaker had died. Is it being revived now?>>

Aren't there any records from the speach of that native speaker?
fraz   Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:01 pm GMT
I'm sure the last Cornish speakers died in the early 1800s. Perhaps you're thinking of the last remaining Manx speaker who passed away in 1974. Recordings of his speech were made, there are a couple of snippets on YouTube.
rep   Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:03 pm GMT
Steak 'n' Chips   Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:11 pm GMT
fraz, after a little research, I think you're right. It seems the last stalwart monoglot Cornish speaker dies in the late 18th century. Many Cornish speakers survived longer, but they were (as I understand) bilingual. Perhaps I am remembering the last Manx speaker, but I already knew a little about that man and so I guess my brain is playing tricks on me.

It's encouraging that they're teaching neo-Cornish in schools again. If kids can master languages as remote from English as Cornish is, then they should find Euro-languages (except Basque..) a breeze!