British Punctuation

Thaddeus   Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:05 pm GMT
I read that the British don't put periods after abbreviations like Dr., Mr., and Prof. Why is that?
Full stops   Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:57 pm GMT
What you've read is generally correct. Us Brits don't put menstrual cycles after abbreviated titles for the simple fact that it might be a bit messy.

It's just an accepted convention.

The full stop placed seemingly in the "wrong" place in a sentence might lead to confusion, so I suppose that it could be omitted for that reason.
Reaney   Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:36 pm GMT
<I read that the British don't put periods after abbreviations like Dr., Mr., and Prof. Why is that? >

The tendency in most British publications and business documents is to avoid a stop after contractions (e.g. Mr, Dr), but to use one where the word has been abbreviated by truncation, as in Prof. or Rev. The method is also the rationale.

Some magazines avoid stops entirely, however.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 pm GMT
Very few, if any, punctuation marks appear on the envelopes containing names and addresses within in the UK Postal service....Royal Mail.

You are likely to see something like this (not a real name or address):

Mr Brian J Macdoodle
41 High St
Puddleton on Trent
MULCASTER
Derbyshire
DE26 9TR

If the addressee was a Frenchman it would appear as:

M Pierre le Grange

The letters inside also contain few if any punctuation marks in the names, addresses, dates or salutations.

29 March 2010
Reaney   Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:04 am GMT
<Very few, if any, punctuation marks appear on the envelopes containing names and addresses within in the UK Postal service>

You are right about printed address labels, but wrong about handwritten addresses.

Many people in the UK still add punctuation (and indents) when writing addresses, and put stops after contractions.

Look at your Christmas card envelopes this year and you will see what I mean.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:08 pm GMT
Forget British punctuation for now....concentrate on perverse and possibly (to some) disrespectful British humour, especially on this most sacred of days as this one...Good Friday....but who ever said that Jesus didn't have a sense of humour himself? He'd probably have laughed his sandals off at this one.

Here is a group of somewhat (jokingly) irreverent Brits from Lincolnshire, England, and their version of "There is a Green Hill Far Away"....obviously that green hill wasn't in Lincolnshire, that's for sure.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN8DPkXu0Ok&feature=related
Reaney   Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:30 pm GMT
<Forget British punctuation for now>

Would it not be more reasonable to start your own threads for your own topics, Damian?