Hinglish as a whole new lingua or a dialect of English?

Shuimo   Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:13 pm GMT
What do you think of Hinglish (Hindu + English ) either as a whole new lingua or as another dialect of English? (ˇˍˇ)
yawn   Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:08 pm GMT
I think its a shit idea
BB   Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 pm GMT
Dialect of course... it's not another language... just english mixed with a bit of hindu and an indian accent. That's all.
Scott from Schaghticoke   Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:23 pm GMT
I guess it's sort of like Spanglish around here. (I think Spanglish is mostly Spanish, with English mixed in, though.)
Damian in Anglesey   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:23 am GMT
If you want to hear pure Hinglish being spoken then I suggest you visit places like Bradford (West Yorkshire), Leicester, Blackburn (Lancashire) and Southall (Middlesex but technically now West London) to name just a few.

You will, of course, have to make sure your passport is still valid before you go, and it's very advisable to undergo some sort of course in elementary Hinglish beforehand, just to make things easier for yourself.

I am presently in Anglesey (Sir Fon to the locals) - right in the north western part of Wales, where the Welsh language is still widely spoken and in actual fact they have their own form of English here too, which they can use just to confuse visiting English people in particular if they don't want to go the whole hog and chatter away in Welsh proper.

This dialect is called Wenglish, and it really is quite weird - in a nice way. As a fellow Celt I am duty bound to be complimentary and positive on this one. I can now even speak a wee bit of Wenglish myself....it really is fun living on a small island nation which contains not only a great variation of English Language accents and dialects but also different languages altogether....travelling down here by car from Edinburgh I passed through quite an array of different accents (I enjoy stopping off on the way for this very purpose) and now here I am among people gabbling away in a totally different tongue altogether, quite unlike English in so many ways, until they lapse into Wenglish. Now I am about to go through the whole thing again on the return journey back home up to Scotland.

The people here are amazingly friendly and accommodating and generous of spirit so long as you respect them and their cultural background and language.
Dell   Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:20 pm GMT
Hinglish is just a bad English not another effing dialect....Native English dialects include: North American dialects (USA, Canada), Carribean dialects , British Isles dialects, South African , Australian, New Zealand, Gibraltarian and hybrid accents like Mid Atlantic or posh Irish American from southern Dublin...