Stuary %

Learner   Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:45 pm GMT
What percentage (%) of the population living in England do you think have Estuary English as their first accent. It musn't even be has to be an accurate percentage, just the say the approximate percentage that you believe.
Learner   Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:47 pm GMT
On second thought, I'd also be interested in knowing what percentage(%) do you believe have RP as their first accent.
Argos   Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:39 pm GMT
I think it's 10% - 12 mln people living less than 100 miles from London...Clear RP -> 3-5%, modified/mixed with other accents(called 'near RP') -> 20 -30%...
You know   Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:54 pm GMT
your wrongdon   Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:07 pm GMT
<I think it's 10% - 12 mln people living less than 100 miles from London...Clear RP -> 3-5%, modified/mixed with other accents(called 'near RP') -> 20 -30%...>

No Argos, I would think there is a lot more than 12 million folks living less than 100 miles from London. If you said within 50 miles then you maybe getting there. You only have to go to north east Essex where it meets Suffolk for a farmer country accent and loads of the working class south coast conurbations of Bournemouth, Southampton and Portsmouth areas have a pirate country accent, even Worthing-Hove-Brighton conurbation dose. Even the new town of Swindon (full of transplants) has a west country accent. Midland cities and towns within range of greater London, like Coventry deffinately have a midlands accent. So basically the estuary accent nowhere near extends for a hundred miles. Just too many accents going on in England.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm GMT
Please note: definitely. This is a word which must be among those most commonly mis-spelled. It's probably on a par with "separate" and "accommodation".

The range of accents and dialects is surely one of the "charms" of this country...so many packed into quite a small geographical area, comparatively speaking.

I find that out when I have visited my grandparents who live close to Ledbury, Herefordshire, in the south west Midlands area of England. In that area you can hear quite "posh" EERP alongside the original local accent which can best be described as "rustic" - with shades of West Country. The last time I was down there I heard this man, age 30s I reckon, say to a woman who was withdrawing cash from an ATM: "You ent takin' owt more money are you!" He sounded like something out of "The Archers"....the world's oldest radio "soap opera" set in mythical rural Borsetshire, which is apparently modelled on Worcestershire, which is the neighbouring county to Herefordshire.
manieestream   Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:18 pm GMT
Kidderminster, Droitwich, Redditch and I think of late Worcester itself, are deffiniteley classic Brummielike in midland accents. South of Worcester city itself, it's a west country accent. Herefordshire has always kept be wondering, though I suspect it's more or less west country with welsh-like and midlands-like shades. Anyway, forest of Dean communities (in sth Herefordshire) are prob def west country sounding where once you get to Ludlow its def midland accent. Wonder what accent folk got in Herford in Dutchland.