Macs' built-in Dictionary app.

MacUser   Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:37 pm GMT
Hello,

I was reading the section about dictionaries, and there seems to be no mention of the built in "New Oxford American Dictionary" and
"Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus", which I don't think every Mac user is aware of (not so much of the existence of a dictionary app but of its reputable publisher). The dictionary if full featured, with both American and British pronunciation and vocabulary, and makes for a great duo with the built-in Text-To-Speech feature.

The advantage of this dictionary over any other is the deep system integration. It can immediately display a small popup window on a selected word, if a keyboard shortcut is pressed (and pronounced by the system too). Then there is a nifty DashBoard widget and, of course, a separate application. Considering most dictionaries lack such features, do have them but in a pretty botched up state, use more system resources and, usually, have a terrible interface, I think overall it's a pretty good and useful function.

Now, of course I understand that Windows users are the vast majority, but I think that considering you get such an excellent dictionary for free, it should perhaps be added as a note for those planning to buy a new computer, or simply as an informative note for those who are unaware of the feature, my point being, in the end, that it may help a substantial number of people.