TV channels in English

tall guy 95   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 am GMT
BBC and CNN are very limited sources they are tighten only on formal English. Every learner should have got a Sky TV UK all-in-one package HDTV 3D helluva sea and the whole thing for less than 6€ a month via cardsharing.
so keep up if you are not there already it's a real advice!
Pablo   Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:18 pm GMT
How the hell can you get Sky for 6 Euros a month?
.   Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:28 pm GMT
Pirates, I guess.
danny in russia   Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:34 pm GMT
www.theonion.com is the most reliable news site and they have videos too
tallguy 95   Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:15 pm GMT
Sky makes an illegal signal emission broadcasting their channels outside the UK and Ireland so just knock on the backdoor to cardshare them up and as for all those tochy-feely lads they go watch Freesat channels to snatch their happy lolly out of charge and don't wimp the input anymore..!
Another Guest   Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:23 am GMT
It should be just "should have", not "should have got", and I don't even know where to start on your first sentence. "Are" and "tighten" are both finite verbs. In English (and every other language that I know of), clauses are supposed to have exactly one finite verb. What is your native language? Have you had any formal instruction in English? I don't mean to be rude, but I have only a vague idea of that most of your sentences are saying.
guessed   Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:49 pm GMT
<<I don't mean to be rude, but I have only a vague idea of that most of your sentences are saying. >>

I haved to admit that his dialect of English is hard to fathom, but it all sounds so smooth and natural. Maybe he's from New Zealand, Jamaica, India, etc?
tallguy 95   Sat May 01, 2010 6:59 am GMT
I amn't a grammar nazi for Pete's sake I write what I know seen so I don't spread the hassle spotting all over the place to secure your grasp sitrep as followed was that I saved two hundred within the range on Xmas I bought all the equipment stuff a PCIDVBS2 card an offset dish an LNB converter two cable connectors and the wires single day and the next blast I got it upbeat already I'm back from school I have got SkyTV on my computer paying a lame looney for it so it's plain simple and works just fine I should take that for granted instead of wasting clock ticking on watching impractically biased news channels if I were an English language learner I guess if you fine pals overstand not certain points concerning the cardsharing services there is a bulk of additional information around the Web to acknowledge can be found on that subject..!
Quintus   Sat May 01, 2010 12:01 pm GMT
>>I amn't a grammar nazi>>

I like your style, Tallguy, and I'm glad you saved a wad on those assets.

(I have soupçon you're Irish, so I do.)
Quintus   Sat May 01, 2010 12:25 pm GMT
>>they are tighten only on formal English>>

I'm guessing that means "they are touting" as in peddling or promoting formal English.

>>paying a lame looney for it>>

Possibly this writer is an Irishman living in Canada, the word "looney" being used to mean money in general perhaps. Definitely Commonwealth, I think, an origin posited by poster "Guessed". Yes, the writing style is quite intriguing. He's a latter-day Tristram Shandy, is our Tallguy (and indeed, Laurence Sterne was himself born in Ireland).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THE LIFE AND OPINIONS OF TRISTRAM SHANDY, GENTLEMAN—VOLUME THE FIRST

Chapter 1.I.

I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them, as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when they begot me; had they duly consider'd how much depended upon what they were then doing;—that not only the production of a rational Being was concerned in it, but that possibly the happy formation and temperature of his body, perhaps his genius and the very cast of his mind;—and, for aught they knew to the contrary, even the fortunes of his whole house might take their turn from the humours and dispositions which were then uppermost;—Had they duly weighed and considered all this, and proceeded accordingly,—I am verily persuaded I should have made a quite different figure in the world, from that in which the reader is likely to see me.—Believe me, good folks, this is not so inconsiderable a thing as many of you may think it;—you have all, I dare say, heard of the animal spirits, as how they are transfused from father to son, &c. &c.—and a great deal to that purpose:—Well, you may take my word, that nine parts in ten of a man's sense or his nonsense, his successes and miscarriages in this world depend upon their motions and activity, and the different tracks and trains you put them into, so that when they are once set a-going, whether right or wrong, 'tis not a half-penny matter,—away they go cluttering like hey-go-mad; and by treading the same steps over and over again, they presently make a road of it, as plain and as smooth as a garden-walk, which, when they are once used to, the Devil himself sometimes shall not be able to drive them off it.

Pray my Dear, quoth my mother, have you not forgot to wind up the clock?—Good G--! cried my father, making an exclamation, but taking care to moderate his voice at the same time,—Did ever woman, since the creation of the world, interrupt a man with such a silly question? Pray, what was your father saying?—Nothing.
Quintus   Sat May 01, 2010 12:31 pm GMT
Shandy with a drop of Malaprop !
Another Guest   Sat May 01, 2010 6:11 pm GMT
guessed
<<I haved to admit that his dialect of English is hard to fathom, but it all sounds so smooth and natural. Maybe he's from New Zealand, Jamaica, India, etc?>>
Is "haved" a typo? There definitely seems to be a certain quality to his writing that is hard to pin down. Like he's speaking another language that looks sort of like English if you don't look too closely. It could be a bizarre dialect, or he could have a mental disorder, or he might just be pranking us. It's hard to tell. However, it is worth noting that not only is he not speaking coherent English, he refuses to acknowledge this fact, instead ascribing my comment to pedantry.

Quintus
<<I'm guessing that means "they are touting" as in peddling or promoting formal English.>>
So... if we put a semicolon after "sources", change "tighten" to a different verb in a different tense, and remove the word "on", then his first sentence makes sense. Apparently, he finds me to be a "grammar Nazi" because I was unable to make sense of a sentence that has four different errors.
Quintus   Sat May 01, 2010 7:09 pm GMT
Well, A. G., evidently you are a born editor, which is admirable in its own right. My reading is, Tallguy never called you a grammar Nazi ~ he merely said he wasn't that sort of writer plying that kind of style (which I find amusing, if not amazing).
Quintus   Sat May 01, 2010 7:15 pm GMT
>>change "tighten" to a different verb in a different tense>>

My theory (if we may call it that, not to aggrandise here) was contingent on Tallguy's speaking with an Irish (or perhaps Newfoundland) accent, writing somewhat phonetically as impacted by his pronunciation of -ou-, and therefore having his mind process a rendering of "toutin'" while his hands type "tighten".

Does that sound plausible, A. G. ?
Another Guest   Mon May 03, 2010 1:11 am GMT
It seems like what you're describing is basically an eye dialect, but with the writer's own dialect. That strikes me as quite odd; "tighten" is a "phonetic" rending of that pronunciation of "touting" only if one has the phonetics of standard English. How is that people develop nonstandard pronunciation but standard phonetics? I'm not saying it's not plausible, and I've had written conversations with people where that certainly seems to be going on, but it doesn't make sense to me. It would be like a Hispanic person writing "talk-o" instead of "taco".