French language in German schools curricula

Homme Fatal   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:02 pm GMT
Hispanics made a false claim again that Spanish is the 2nd most studied foreign language in Germany by dislodging French, Latin, Russian and Italian.

This so impossible because French like English is in the curricula of German schools while Spanish is not. Latin, Russian, and Italian are also part of the curricula but the number of schools who offered it is lower than of English and French. Spanish is indeed the 2nd most popular foreign language in Germany but as optional or elective only not compulsory.

Here's the site where it contains a list of German schools where French is part of the curricula.

http://www.pdfqueen.com/pdf/le/lehrplan-grundschule-franz%C3%B6sisch/10/
Franco   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:08 pm GMT
<< Spanish is indeed the 2nd most popular foreign language

>>

Thanks for recognising the über importance of the superior Spanish tongue.
Homme Fatal   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:17 pm GMT
<< Thanks for recognising the �ber importance of the superior Spanish tongue. >>

Yes, Spanish is the second most popular in Germany as elective/optional not as compulsory subject.

But French is still the second because it's in the curricula while Spanish is not.

BTW, Spanish has surpassed French in enrollment in a language school. There's no need for the Germans to enroll in French language because they already know it starting from the early age while Spanish is not.
--   Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 pm GMT
Homme Fatal, the hits in your link doesn't say anything. You just input three terms and got some hits of documents where all the three terms were present.
Homme Fatal   Sat May 01, 2010 2:44 am GMT
<< Thanks for recognising the �ber importance of the superior Spanish tongue. >>

Yes, Spanish is the second most popular in Germany as elective/optional not as compulsory subject.

But French is still the second because it's in the curricula while Spanish is not.

BTW, Spanish has surpassed French in enrollment in a language school. There's no need for the Germans to enroll in a language to study because they already know it starting from the early age while Spanish is not.
+Fr+   Sat May 01, 2010 3:05 am GMT
Teaching history in French in Germany
Posted by admin on 25/02/2009

We interviewed five teachers of history - Corine Breton Schaaf, Christof Miszori Klaus Pfiffer, Valerie Schnaithmann Zwink and Christian - in their discipline. Here is a summary of their responses.

Dual Field
Most history teachers also teach French in schools in Germany bilingual. Thus, Christof Miszori taught French, history and civics (his colleague, a French teaches only history and geography). Corine Breton Schaaf, who is also native speaker of French, teaches in the history of French language, from the 7th to the 10th class, economics and social sciences in the first half of the 11th class, and again the history and geography at last, in 12th and 13th grades. It also provides additional two hours during the 5th and 6th classes. But does it clarify, "it varies from one institution to another."

"Having the same group in French and history, great! "

The fact teach the two subjects may be a way to strengthen his linguistic competence "to teach French leads me even more. Having the same group in French and History (in French and German), is perfect! This dual expertise allows "change of perspective, the relative certainties of national history, unfortunately still widespread." according to Christian Zwink.

"For the past ten years, says Klaus Pfiffer, the new history teachers in bilingual sections have additional training in addition to normal training in German. "

Evaluation
The risk is not to evaluate the language level of students rather than their knowledge of history? "No," answered the teachers we interviewed. "These are the historical knowledge which are assessed, and says Corine Breton Schaaf. The linguistic errors are only corrected. For Christof Miszori "language is a tool that students use. They have more history lessons in German to catch up. "Christian Zwink said he is applying a" rule ": to assess only the historical knowledge. "For students who try to always speak in French, there is an unofficial system of positive rewards, but for others, there is no penalty. "

According to Valerie Schnaithmann, students "can always use their mother tongue. History lessons in French are just an "extra strength": college students also have courses in German history "and therefore depend on their grades in both courses. The pupils, "they have only history lessons in French, but generally speaking the language well enough." Valerie Schnaithmann says it "does not note the language but the content. Only problem: "the written examination, if I do not really understand ... But this does not happen often. "
The alternation of languages

"We speak in French as much as possible," says Klaus Pfiffer. The use of French increased gradually, until at the high school level students are almost always able to speak French. At the college, students often still speak German. "In the first three years of bilingual courses, Christof Miszori adds, there are many phases of German classes, but from the tenth grade, the courses take place only in French. "

Christian Zwink makes the same observation: "As and when the French is gradually used in courses. At the beginning it is a bilingual course itself later (second, first, terminal), the course is, with few exceptions, only in French. "

In history classes, Valérie Schnaithmann uses two languages: "It depends on age. With the students of 6th, I spoke a little German, with the students rather French, but I translate technical terms in German, because they are bilingual classes. "Schaaf Corine Breton tries as possible to speak French but from the 7th to the 9th, is often" passing German. " To avoid having to translate systematically, it uses graphic. His students gradually appropriated historical vocabulary.

How is the transition from one language to another? Christian Zwink think it is desirable to "cut", for example when moving to the discussion. Sometimes "it is difficult to manage," he says. When there are problems of understanding, it is customary for the economics of education, to explain in German. The work on the texts and documents are normally in German, the language debates often, especially when students wish to contribute but can not find ways to express themselves. To avoid this frustration due to the gap between knowledge and mastery of foreign language, the language is used.

Valérie Schnaithmann, switching from one language to another is simply: "Once I realized they no longer understand or when the students themselves have really wanted to speak their native language (difficult discussions, etc..), they can use. My students are generally motivated enough to speak in French. I did not force them, just from time to time to motivate them, but normally it is not necessary. "

It finally seems that there is no formal guidelines in Germany on this question of language alternation, only "recommendations", says Christian Zwink.

Another historical perspective
For Christian Zwink, if the beginnings are difficult, little by little, the students come to question some overly simplistic visions of history, they learn to relativize to change their judgments. "Working with French textbooks exchange perspective, says Valerie Schnaithmann," the comparison of French and German history is rewarding. Corine Breton Schaaf also stops on French textbooks are often "illustrated, more attractive to students." This promotes "openness". This change of perspectives is an asset to the learning of history, for all the teachers we interviewed. In a way, making history is "better known neighbor," says Christof Miszori.

Documents
"There is almost no documentation didactisation, Christof Miszori regrets. "There is very little for bilingual education," added Christian Zwink which states however that "it is less problematic for students than for college students. "Didactisation or not, the key is based on documents, suggests Corine Breton Schaaf. His advice: work on the letters of Pollux.

'To deal with German history, it is not always easy to find videos in French. "

Klaus Pfiffer digs into the history books in French (tables, graphs, extracts, etc..). He also sometimes uses the German manual for the level of student ability. "It depends on the subject," he says. "I also use videos in both languages, but to deal with German history, it is not always easy to find videos in French. "The cartoons are also a good support for Valerie Schnaithmann and Christof Miszori.

Finally, students of Christian Zwink, worked on the speech of Victor Hugo, delivered May 18, 1879 at a banquet commemorating the abolition of slavery (see box). According to Christian Zwink, they were particularly surprised "to see a humanist in this adept of French imperialism of the time."

The history textbook Franco-German
"Extraordinary, extremely well done and successful," says Christof Miszori. "We work with two copies (first and final) in the 12th and 13th grades. Students appreciated. "

For Corine Breton Schaaf, this guide is "just perfect" "I used to date the end of the preparation of my classes and in February, my students will use the first. It is a very positive initiative, the sources are very useful. I especially like the comparison tables between the two countries. "

"It is well done and very helpful," added Christian Zwink, who nevertheless wishes to clarify that certain chapters are not "adequately documented". It is therefore an "educational resource among others. "I use both and it works well, for its part Schnaithmann Valerie. Although, she adds, "the written documents are much too short, my pupils immediately find key information, so it's too easy and a book of professor is clearly lacking.

Klaus Pfiffer also used regularly, especially the "blue volume" (recently published). The red volume (after 1945) should be improved, according to him (the sources should be more varied and detailed). "But it's a good policy, does he want to clarify, for the work of individual students. "

(Interview conducted by email between 18/01/09 and 02/06/2009)

Translated from: http://lefildubilingue.org/fr/content/enseigner-l-histoire-en-fran-ais-en-allemagne
+_+   Sat May 01, 2010 3:09 am GMT
Why, I didn't know that French is used as a medium of instruction in history subject in German schools!

That's great!
+Fr+ vs -Sp-   Sat May 01, 2010 3:36 am GMT
It's so surprising that not even English is used as medium of instruction in such subject as History.

Yes, there are more students of English than French in Germany. But the thing is English is taught as a subject not as a medium of instruction in a subject.

So, the myth that Spanish is now the second most sought after foreign language in Germany displacing French can be dismissed.

Actually statistics shows that French is behind English and Latin third based on the traslated text below from a German language website:

WIESBADEN - As the Federal Statistical Office, received from the approximately 9.3 million students of the last school year (excluding nursery) 80% FOREIGN LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION IN ENGLISH, 19% IN FRENCH AND 9% IN LATIN. This order of language is not changed in years. Opposite of the school year 2000/2001 the number of participants in the English classes is 14.9%, those at the teaching of French has increased by 7.8% and those on teaching Latin by 30.7%.

http://www.destatis.de/jetspeed/portal/cms/Sites/destatis/Internet/DE/Presse/pm/zdw/2007/PD07__035__p002.psml

Besides, it would be illogical if Spanish would be used as medium of instruction in History subject. I don't think that German students would be much interested in the subject if that's the case. The learning result would be quite low.

Teaching Spanish as a subject in Germany would be enough and as of now it's optional not compulsory. the most popular foreign languages in Germany is English, French (ahead of English in Saarland), Latin, Italian, Russian (mostly in ormer East Germany), and Spanish.

But Spanish scores ahead of French, Latin, Russian, and Italian when it comes to enrollment in foreign language schools (take note not academic schools) and most of these are adult because according to them it's the easiest and probably the main reason is they want to spend holidays in sunny Spain or to stay there for good.

English is always ahead as second foreign language if the student chose French, Latin, Russian, or Italian.