Having a Real Ear

Quintus   Tue May 04, 2010 5:25 am GMT
Why, Gordon !- You've certainly changed your tune since your unfortunate bout of Tourette's Syndrome on Sunday (but that's assuming it wasn't the obscene little hoaxer who tries these threads writing in under your stolen name) ; never the less, the fact remains that a newfound civility doesn't equate to understanding, nor does reasonableness to reason : and there is no more reason that the choice of "from" should play for spoken musicality the same as "of", nor "composer" for "compiler", any more than a sharp should sound the same as a flat, a mezzo soprano as a countertenor, an al legno timbre as a dolce tone, or an oboe as a trombone.

Interested, as always,

~Q~
Gordon   Tue May 04, 2010 5:44 am GMT
<<and there is no more reason that the choice of "from" should play for spoken musicality the same as "of", nor "composer" for "compiler", >>

I just said them and they sound fucking identical. So don't give me that shit. I do have a whole fucking lot of reason to claim they sound more intonationally similar than a fucking oboe compared to a trombone, because oboes and trombones are instruments, not words, and they haven't got shit in common.

Yes, that was an impostor who swore at you the first time, though now I would have to agree with him, you really are thick as fuck.

And Tourette's Syndrome is when one swears unintentionally. When people insult you, they do it not because they have a tick, but because they want to express how much they loath you. So go shove an oboe up your ass and see if it feels the same as the trombone that's already there.
Quintus   Tue May 04, 2010 5:53 am GMT
Well done, Gordon - we see now, you are the hoaxer after all !
OP   Tue May 04, 2010 6:14 am GMT
A sharp or flat only has more meaning when heard in context. F Sharp is also G flat, of course. I'm using American musical terminology. In the same way individual words out of context may not sound the same way as in set phrases.

I think part of mastering the languages involves remembering intonation and word patterns. It really is easier.

I don't know what this feud between Q and G has to do with my topic.
Where is Uriel? Where are Damian and Jasper?
Quintus   Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 am GMT
What feud, OP ?

I'm simply defending my right to participate in the face of Gordon Tourette's spewings.
Quintus   Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 am GMT
F sharp is not G flat, by the way ~ only on a modern piano or another fixed-pitch instrument in standard modern tuning, a system which represents the compromise of natural harmonies and the erasing of quarter tones.
Realistic   Tue May 04, 2010 1:23 pm GMT
Oh, so that is your problem. The teacher is italian. How can you ever, ever, EVER listen to an advice by an italian teacher?
Guessed   Tue May 04, 2010 5:58 pm GMT
<<OP, it's very unlikely that the reasons people don't "master" languages can be summarised by a 2-line paragraph.>>

One word can summarize it. Stupidity.
Quintus   Tue May 04, 2010 7:13 pm GMT
If by "don't 'master' languages" he means foreign languages, it no more involves stupidity than does a person's not having perfect pitch in music.

I'm sure there are many clever individuals you admire who are monoglots.
@ OP   Tue May 04, 2010 9:39 pm GMT
<A sharp or flat only has more meaning when heard in context. F Sharp is also G flat, of course. I'm using American musical terminology. In the same way individual words out of context may not sound the same way as in set phrases. >

Do you mean that the relation of a G sharp to the musical phrase in which it occurs is (for example) the same as the relation of the word "plinth" to the verbal phrase in which it occurs; and that the effect of the word "plinth" (for example) on its own is equivalent to the effect of the note G sharp on its own?
Uriel   Wed May 05, 2010 3:57 am GMT
I think people pick the "wrong" word sometimes because they are simply choosing the word that corresponds most closely to whatever they would naturally say in their own language, and every language has its little quirks.

Many of the words we "choose" are really chosen for us by force of habit, being used to hearing the same stock phrases over and over, until it just seems natural that word X always follows word Y, even if there may be other synonyms that would serve just as well. Non-native speakers haven't been exposed to those conventional phrasings as much as we have, and might use whatever term seems logical.