How do you pronounce 'Holmesglan'?

Boy   Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:02 pm GMT
my question is as stated above.
Guest   Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:41 pm GMT
"Holmesglan" is extremely rare, with just 14 hits on Google. There is a "Holmesglen" with 225000 hits. Is that what you mean?

(BTW, I never heard of either place -- they seem to be in Oz)
Boy   Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:51 pm GMT
Yep. hehe.. I made a typo there. Yes. It is "Holmesglen". It is not a place but it is an Institue name in Oz. I am confused to know whether people pronounce 'l' in 'Holmes' or not.
Boy   Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:54 pm GMT
*Institute...
Lazar   Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:24 pm GMT
I don't pronounce the <l> in "Holmes". I've never heard of Holmesglen before, but my intuitive impression is that I would pronounce it ["hoUmz%glEn], like "homes glen".
Felix the Cassowary   Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:16 pm GMT
Holmesglen Institute of TAFE has the first L silent, same as Sherlock Holmes. If there's any more Holmesglens around they may be pronounced differently particu'ly if they're in America, where spelling-based pronunciations seem to rule placenames.
Boy   Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:57 pm GMT
Thanks for your help. It was very much appreciated.
Lazar   Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:55 am GMT
<<If there's any more Holmesglens around they may be pronounced differently particu'ly if they're in America, where spelling-based pronunciations seem to rule placenames.>>

Well you can't generalize. Worcester is still [wUst@(`)] round here. ;-)
Guest   Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:28 pm GMT
<<Worcester is still [wUst@(`)] round here. ;-)>>

That reminds me of a pet peeve that I used to have. That pet peeve was when people pronounced ''worcester'' as /w3`tSEst@`/ i.e. ''wur chester''. Have you ever heard anyone pronounce it that way?
Lazar   Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:28 am GMT
<<That pet peeve was when people pronounced ''worcester'' as /w3`tSEst@`/ i.e. ''wur chester''. Have you ever heard anyone pronounce it that way?>>

I don't think anyone from Massachusetts would call it that, but I have heard "Worcester" mispronounced occasionally by people from other parts of the country.
matt   Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:36 am GMT
holmesglen institute of tafe...in Moorabbin
Hamad wawee   Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:54 pm GMT
My name is hamad wawee, and I from Syria. I am trying to learn English
right now.