Ladino

Azaria   Mon May 10, 2010 4:18 am GMT
Judaeo-Spanish, aka Ladino, a Romance language derived from Old Spanish, influenced heavily by Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, Turkish and to a lesser extent Greek and other languages, is spoken in Israel, Turkey, Brazil, Spain, France, Greece, United States of America, Italy, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Mexico, Argentina, Curaçao, Romania and Portugal.

http://lad.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_djudeo-espanyola

Total population of Sephardi Jews is 1.5–2.0 million, up to 20% of the total 'Jewish World' population

That's quite impressive, no?
Franco   Mon May 10, 2010 1:44 pm GMT
Ladino also can refer to a tongue spoken in Italy . If Romance languages didn't derive from Latin, they I wonder why so many and unrelated people like Spanish jews and a community in Italy called their languages "ladino".
Penetra   Mon May 10, 2010 1:46 pm GMT
I wonder who fucking cares?
Azaria   Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 pm GMT
At least 1.5–2.0 million Sephardi Jews do care,
that's quite a few, no?
Franco   Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 pm GMT
It is amazing that 2 millions of Jews still speak Spanish after five centuries from their expulsion . Compare that to Hispanics in USA who forget Spanish in three generations at most. They must be people very attached to their traditions it seems. Also thanks to them we can figure out how Spanish was spoken in the Middle Ages. Ladino is a sort of a linguistic lving fossil.
Julio   Mon May 10, 2010 3:22 pm GMT
"Hispanics in USA who forget Spanish in three generations at most"???

Who says?

I still have to meet an Hispanic who has "forgotten" how to speak Spanish, and I've met them by the hundreds.

Not even in places where English is imposed on the population, like Puerto Rico or Gibraltar, do the locals "forget", and they keep on speaking Spanish among themselves, no matter what they've been told about the evils of speaking it.

Reason being that Spanish is unparalleled as far as human relationships are concerned.
jennewein   Mon May 10, 2010 6:54 pm GMT
This thread should be closed. It has nothing to do with the German language!
Baldewin   Mon May 10, 2010 7:04 pm GMT
Maybe a form a Hispanophones should standardise.
Franco   Mon May 10, 2010 11:48 pm GMT
Such die-hard hispanophones like the Ladino speakers should be taken as an example by the Hispanics in USA. This way Spanish would have its existance granted in USA until the XXVI century even without immigration from Mexico.
Juanjo   Tue May 11, 2010 4:45 am GMT
I think the word you're looking for is guaranteed.
I also think that you're just a puppet (no offense intended).

Spanish will always survive.

Ask any bilingual British children living in Spain what language they prefer to speak.
Ask any bilingual Spanish children living in the UK what language they prefer to speak.

Spanish, always Spanish, por los siglos de los siglos, amen.
American   Tue May 11, 2010 5:59 am GMT
I know lots of Mexicans who can't speak any Spanish. All they can do is speak English with a Chicano accent!
Don Chicho   Tue May 11, 2010 8:33 am GMT
">Such die-hard hispanophones like the Ladino speakers should be taken as an example by the Hispanics in USA. This way Spanish would have its existance granted in USA until the XXVI century even without immigration from Mexico.<"

What? Tie Spanish to a religion in the U.S.A? Ladino as did Yiddish tied the culture/tongue of their host's country to their religion. Anyhow, many speakers of the aforementioned tongues don't speak their language anymore but in literary fashion. Now...they prefer to speak English or Hebrew. Chicanos have already created their own culture by incorporating English with Spanish - hence Spanglish. The same happened with Ladino and Yiddish, more or less. People that speak native Spanish in the States are usually immigrants.
Juanjo   Tue May 11, 2010 11:09 am GMT
Revealing how all people who say that don't speak Spanish themselves.

Puerto Rican evidence has been presented, and what do you come up with?
Stereotyped rumors spread by bigots too scared and envious of superior bi-linguist citizens.
Confused   Tue May 11, 2010 1:25 pm GMT
Wasnt this thread about Ladino?
Why are you talking about Spanish?
Franco   Tue May 11, 2010 1:28 pm GMT
Ladino is Spanish.