Washroom Restroom Bathroom

Jim   Tue May 11, 2010 2:49 am GMT
Which words piss you off?

Which words and expressions would you get rid of if you could and why?

There are a lot of stupid words and expressions in English. Wouldn't you agree?

Three of the Engllish words that I hate the most are "washroom", "restroom" and "bathroom". Why are there so many people out there who can't manage to call a toilet what it is. A toilet is a toilet is a toilet. Toilet! Toilet! Toilet!

Who was the shit-for-brains who came up with the words "washroom" and "restroom"? Am I going there to rest ... on the toilet seat? No! Am I going there to wash ... in the toilet water? No! These are silly words and we'd be better off without them. A friend of mine once pointed out the fact that there was a seat that you sat on so he was arguing that there was nothing wrong with the word "restroom". However, I wasn't going to the room for a rest, there were plenty of other seats for me to sit on. You get up from your seat, go and use the toilet; you're not using it as a place of rest, you've just got up from your seat; you've got a very different purpose in mind.

If there is no bath in the room then what right has it got to be called a "bathroom"? None! A bathroom is a room with a bath in it, no more no less. If you're going to the room to use the toilet don't tell me you're going to the "bathroom" as if you were going to have a bath. Don't lie. You're going to the toilet.

Let's stop this nonesense. Boycott these stupid expressions.
lady caca   Tue May 11, 2010 3:50 am GMT
what about lavatory?
Bob   Tue May 11, 2010 4:23 am GMT
I would assume you are not American. It is considered uncouth to be so direct about your urinary and defecatory habits here.
taking a dump as I speak   Tue May 11, 2010 4:45 am GMT
Well, and what is better about "toilet"? It's just a sound with no "submeaning", and less expressive even than "restroom" or "washroom". I prefer those two as at least they are compounded common words and have some meaning, whereas "toilet" is just some borrowed word that is just sound to someone who doesn't know better. Wouldn't calling it a "humyarog" be even worse than "washroom" because it obscures it even more? Because that's what "toilet" does.

Having said that, I would still prefer "dumproom" or "asswipe room" or "cessroom", or at the very least "relief station".
Another Guest   Tue May 11, 2010 6:17 am GMT
If you're talking about the room, then "toilet" isn't an accurate term. As for it just being a "sound": that's true of every word. Just because there's another layer, that doesn't make it better.

As for what words I find annoying, I never got "spendthrift". Whenever I see the word, I have to think hard to remember whether it means "spendy" or "thrifty". What is with that word? Why not use a word that isn't incredibly confusing.
Gordon   Tue May 11, 2010 6:30 am GMT
<<As for what words I find annoying, I never got "spendthrift". Whenever I see the word, I have to think hard to remember whether it means "spendy" or "thrifty". What is with that word? Why not use a word that isn't incredibly confusing. >>

Maybe it would be better if YOU learnt the meaning of the word "spendthrift" instead of me having to change my speaking habits?
On second thought, if you keep having to look it up and "think hard to remember", maybe you're not capable of just learning it. In that case, stick to Simple English Wikipedia, you will most likely be safe from such words there.

What words piss me off... Hmmm, don't know... how about sentences? For example I hate sentences that can be paraphrased as "I'm a cunt" like most of the ones written by Another Guest.
Winteris   Tue May 11, 2010 1:15 pm GMT
I usually just call it a 'pisser' or a 'shitter'.
Party Ape   Tue May 11, 2010 3:32 pm GMT
I piss, shit and snort drugs in either bogs or loos
Brick   Tue May 11, 2010 7:01 pm GMT
shithouse
JM   Tue May 11, 2010 8:12 pm GMT
What if you are only going in there to wash your hands or brush your teeth?
Lol   Tue May 11, 2010 8:21 pm GMT
Man, really, this place is the toilet/washroom/restroom/bathroom/shithole of the English internet forum. And you people are all pieces of shit floating...
.   Tue May 11, 2010 8:52 pm GMT
I'd extricate "lavatory". That is the stupidest word I have ever seen or heard.

Why not just call it a "washitorium" while we're at it?

Other acceptable words: WC, and "eau du closet" (en Français of course)
El cuarto de baño por un   Tue May 11, 2010 9:45 pm GMT
Never mind words, names piss me off, just like the name " Jim " now piss off Jim and don't come back talking your shit..!!!
Lol   Tue May 11, 2010 9:48 pm GMT
Gordon, is it true that your breath stinks of shit..?
H   Wed May 12, 2010 4:55 am GMT
Déjà vu. A few years ago, possibly just on this very forum.
The OP just copied his own or someone's message word for word.