Almost surely vs surely

sure   Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 pm GMT
What's the difference between them? I couldn't comprehend any of the definitions given on the internet.
Quintus   Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 am GMT
"Almost surely" means that there is little doubt in the matter, that reliable evidence to the contrary is negligible. But the usual form is "almost certainly".

"Surely" by itself can be used either to affirm a statement demonstratively or express curiosity or astonishment or else invite debate on the matter at hand.
Quintus   Wed May 12, 2010 8:01 am GMT
And just in case Primary Gordon, A. G. or Actual Uriel are reading this, let me add : I realise that "reliable evidence" should never be neglected as "negligible" - However, in this context the point stands.
Another Guest   Wed May 12, 2010 10:15 pm GMT
This is one of those questions that I don't understand why a person would ask it. If you don't understand what "almost" or "surely" means, why not ask what they mean, or just look in a dictionary? If do you do understand the words individually, how could you not understand the whole phrase? I realize that it can be hard to notice idioms when one has gotten used to them, but I really don't see anything idiomatic about "almost surely". What was confusing about the definitions given on the internet?
sure   Thu May 13, 2010 5:33 pm GMT
Actually now I think I figured it out. "Sure" means that something *will* happen every time, and that anything else is impossible. The probability of that thing happening is 100%. "Almost sure" means that the chances of something happening is 100%, but that other things can sometimes happen. So for example, the chance of choosing 5 out of the numbers between 1 and 10 is 0%, therefore someone will almost surely not pick 5, and they will almost surely pick a different number. But even though there is a 100% chances of picking a different number besides five is 100%, we can't be sure that 5 wasn't chosen. But the number 11 will *surely* never be picked out of the numbers 1 through 10.
Quintus   Thu May 13, 2010 10:36 pm GMT
>>But the number 11 will *surely* never be picked out of the numbers 1 through 10>>

Well no, because the use of the word "surely" here would actually raise the possibility that 11 might be picked, yet the person would be at the same time declaring his belief that it won't.

"Surely" is not quite as fixed or defined in sense, as "certainly" and "definitely" are.