Difference between Georgia vs Texas Accents

MrE   Sat May 15, 2010 11:10 pm GMT
I was just listening to the Northern Americans accents on http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/usa.htm I found a preference to southern variety.

The accents I most liked were Georgian and Texan. Since I'm not that accustomed to either I was wondering whether there were any huge differences between the two.
MrE   Sun May 16, 2010 12:00 am GMT
Hi, y'all! I have butt sex with them mighty Texan men! Yeehaw! Giddy up, cowboy!
v   Sun May 16, 2010 1:07 am GMT
Have you heard any Western accents? How do you like them in comparison to Northern and Southern varieties?
MrE   Sun May 16, 2010 2:59 am GMT
I was actually listening to females accents, but I suspect you know that, either that or you think all us Brits are gay if so kindly drop dead.

v
Northern accents, maybe you are referring to the Midwest and not North Eastern, as there are some differences that can be told.

Concerning the Midwest they were quite nice however I am probably more aware of them as I believe they form the basis for "General American".

Northerners, Midwest (Kansas3, massachuetts2, Michigan, Minnesota,Missouri Oregon,) sounded a little sharper in pronunciation to me than their southern counterparts.

Southerners sounded a little softer and seemed to place more emphasis on certain words lengthening them to me far more noticeably than the "yanks".

However this could all be crap for all I know as the recordings were poor 56kps and there were differences between the speakers even from the same region (admittedly your regions are much bigger than ours.) Also certain the accent they had listed as Valley Girl i.e. Florida4 sounded rather more southern to me, but I guess this maybe because I'm used to Valley Girl speech circa 1980s including the slang.

I suppose this doesn't even matter Drea de Matteo (desperate housewives) sounds beautiful even though on some the accent can be rather painful to listen to (no offense to anyone from there I'm sure you also speak beautifully.

p.s. Not sure if this is mindless waffle or not but I am not deleting it, took to long to type.
snoop   Mon May 17, 2010 12:55 am GMT
Georgia is a deep old Southern state

Texas is a (wannabe Southern) Western state
Uriel   Sun May 23, 2010 7:39 pm GMT
Texans who have a Southern-like accent (they vary a lot across the state) do have a little bit of a different sound than Southerners from the eastern seaboard, because Texas straddles that transition zone. You hear a weaker version up in Oklahoma as well. But as you pass Texas into the Southwest and the Rocky Mountain states, the southern thing disappears and people go back to having more of a neutral American accent, maybe with a minor western flavor.
JeffinNYC   Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:21 pm GMT
I'm native to East Texas. Texas is historically much more rhotic than Georgia and at this moment in history you really wouldn't hear a non-African American Texan speak with a non-rhotic accent, although you might still hear a non-African American Georgian speak with one. For rhotic accents, there's really no shibboleth as far as pronunciation goes that would give somebody away as being from one state or the other.

Eastern North Carolina has a fairly distinct accent. Many people there pronounce o as ɛu, and many people pronounce the past-tense marker as d in situations when people from other areas would pronounce it as t, so that "stopped it" would come out "stopdit" instead of "stoptit". With Georgia being close to eastern North Carolina, there may be some instances or influence of those pronunciations that you wouldn't really hear in Texas.