Is French phonology closer to that of German or Spanish?

greg   Fri May 21, 2010 7:38 am GMT
L'allemand et le castillan ont une accentuation fixe définie pour chaque mot dont le français est dépourvu.
again   Mon May 24, 2010 7:28 am GMT
<<Many Spanish speakers in Argentina and Uruguay pronounce LL and Y like English "sh". >> Argentinian/Uruguayan Spanish "Yolanda","Castilla"= English "Sholanda","Castisha"?
Rob   Thu May 27, 2010 3:05 am GMT
For an Spanish speaker it is more pleasant to hear French language than German, I may say, the tone of both languages French and Spanish are at the same level, When I hear French conversations for long, and suddenly I have to change to Spanish conversations, without trying to understand, only listening, both are at the same tone level . I'm not saying that both languages sound the same, because, rather , each other has it's own "personality", In my prespective, the " R "sound it's what makes the French language closer to German. After this explanation, I may say, French Phonology is closer to Spanish, despite the nasal sounds of French language.
again   Thu May 27, 2010 6:25 am GMT
<Yes it has. In some Andalusian varieties "ch" is realized as English "sh". >
Portuguese variety it has too,but we speak about Standard Spanish.
Soriano   Thu May 27, 2010 7:23 am GMT
Yo diría que el sistema fonológico francés se parece más al español que al alemán. De hecho, la única similitud que veo entre el francés y el alemán es la realización del sonido "r". Además, cabe recordar que la aspiración de las oclusivas "t", "k" y "p" tan habitual en las lenguas germánicas, incluido el alemán, es inexistente en francés y en español.
Franco   Thu May 27, 2010 12:36 pm GMT
<<Portuguese variety it has too,but we speak about Standard Spanish.
>>

Standard Spanish does not exist. French journalists , at least if they work in nationwide channels, use Parisian French, but in Spain you can hear a wide array of accents.
+   Thu May 27, 2010 2:12 pm GMT
"French journalists , at least if they work in nationwide channels, use Parisian French"

Stupid Dago Untermensch, how come you're all the time making a fool of yourself with such idiotic assumptions?
Leasnam   Thu May 27, 2010 2:43 pm GMT
<<Yo diría que el sistema fonológico francés se parece más al español que al alemán. De hecho, la única similitud que veo entre el francés y el alemán es la realización del sonido "r". Además, cabe recordar que la aspiración de las oclusivas "t", "k" y "p" tan habitual en las lenguas germánicas, incluido el alemán, es inexistente en francés y en español. >>

But you are ignoring the rounded front vowels of French (u, and eu). 'R' is not the only commonality.

Besides, Dutch is a byspel of a germanic leid which does not aspire its consonants.
Rob   Thu May 27, 2010 5:37 pm GMT
Both Spanish and French are from the same family of romance languages:
thus closer in phonetics!

The romance languages are divided in:

Italo-romance group: Italiano,Corsican, Emilian-Romagnol, Friulian, Judaeo-Italian, Napolitano-Calabrese, Logudorian, Gallurian, Sassarian,Campidanian, Siciliano, Veneto

Ibero-romance group: Spanish, Portuges, Galician, Aragonese,Asturian, Calao. Fala, Extremaduran, Ladino, Mirandes, Mozarabic, Valenciano

Gallo-romance group: French,Catalan,Auvergnat, Occitan FrancoProvensal,Gascon, Languedocien, Ligurian,Limousin, Lombard, Piemontese, Judeo-Provensal, Zarphatic

Raetho-romance group: Raetho Friulano, Ladin

Balkano-romance group: Daco-Rumano, Macedo-Rumano, Istro-Rumano, Meglenite
Franco   Thu May 27, 2010 5:44 pm GMT
<< Gallo-romance group: French,Catalan,Auvergnat, Occitan FrancoProvensal,Gascon, Languedocien, Ligurian,Limousin, Lombard, Piemontese, Judeo-Provensal, Zarphatic

>>

Common criterion among linguists is to include Catalan in the Ibero-Romance gorup. Also if you include Valencian in the Ibero-Romance group and Catalan in the Gallo-Romance one, it does not make much sense, because Catalan and Valencian are two dialects of the same language. Valencian is just more similar to Spanish phonetically, but it depends a lot on the local variety of Valencian too. In my opinion also Gascon should be considered Ibero-Romance because contrarily to the rest of Gallo-romance tongues, it was heavily influenced by Basque , even more than Spanish.
greg   Thu May 27, 2010 7:24 pm GMT
<<Both Spanish and French are from the same family of romance languages:
thus closer in phonetics! >>

Stupid and idiotic reasoning.
Having a close genetic relation sees nothing to do with the employment of similar phonetics.

If we were to discuss the Occitan, my native lenguage, Yes!, Spanish and Occitan are of the same family. But Fransch is a wholly different beast. The Capitularies of Charlemagne have borne out well the phonological development upon the Late oro-latin, so much so that the French tongue of Île-de-France is infinitely aligned with the languages of Europe to the North.
Franco   Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 pm GMT
I wonder if Mozarabic could be revived. it looks damn exotic and misterious.
PARISIEN   Thu May 27, 2010 8:46 pm GMT
<< Gallo-romance group: French,Catalan,Auvergnat, Occitan FrancoProvensal,Gascon, Languedocien, Ligurian,Limousin, Lombard, Piemontese >>

-- Non, c'est ridicule.
Il vaut mieux distinguer des groupes plus restreints mais réellement bien individualisés, caractérisés par des morphologies similaires, une bonne proximité phonétique et une certaine intercompréhension :

. groupe gallo-italique : ligure, piémontais, lombard, émilien, romagnol
. groupe gallo-roman : langues d'oïl et franco-provençal
. groupe occitan-catalan.
Matematik   Thu May 27, 2010 9:47 pm GMT
<<Is French phonology closer to that of German or Spanish?>>

Is English phonology closer to that of Japanese or Chinese?
That's a hard question.
Andrew   Thu May 27, 2010 10:07 pm GMT
Catalan and Occitan are pretty close aren't they? To me it seems like they kind of form a bridge between the Ibero and Gallo Romance groups, with Occitan due to its location taking on more of a French sound, and Catalan closer to a Spanish one.

Mozarabic has lots of Arabic words.