a (metric) unit

Adam   Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:29 pm GMT
"You really consider measurement systems to be an integral part of one's culture? "

Yeah. Saying "pints" and "miles" is more British than using boring, repetitive European measurements such as "litres" and "kilometres. or anything else that ends in "metre(s)."

It's just the same as the fact that saying "The cat" is more of an integral part of our culture than saying "Le chat."
------------------------------------------------------
"Wow, you actually have French friends? I'm stunned."

No. I didn't write the article did I?

The author is saying that he knows many French people who come to Britain and they are disappointed when they see that certain things have been "metrified." They come to Britain to appreciate its DIFFERENCES - they don't want to see boring metres, kilometres, litres, etc etc like they are used to. They want to see Great British measurements such as yards, miles, pints. Many French tourists to London have also shown their admiration for the fact that Britain kept the Pound rather than adopting the Euro - the Pound is a symbol of Britain, and these tourists are glad that we don't have the Euro and just be the same as 12 other countries with no special differences in the currency - and that would be boring.

Whereas the other Europeans have the same currency and use Metric measures (so what symbols of their nationality do they have anymore?) us Brits have successfully fought off any European attempt to Metricate us or give us the Euro - much like we fought off Napoleon, the Spanish Armada and Hitler.
--------------------------------------------------------
"But they're right — there is not a huge amount of difference between life in Britain and life in France on the grand scheme of things any more (if there ever was, for that matter). Same seems to apply to most Western European countries, in my experience (notably Belgium and Germany). "

Rubbish - there are a lot of differences between living in Britain than living in France, or living in Sweden than living in Italy. Each country is unique and has its own cultures and traditions, although the EUSSR is trying to eradicate these differences by making Europeans all the same, with no cultural differences. It's trying to turn us into one giant, homogenised lump, whid would be boring.
Adam   Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:33 pm GMT
"go fuck your shit you gay bastard "

Get lost, you depraved troll. There are lots of ugly trolls that roam Internetland, but you're one of the most vile I've ever come across.

Most of my discussions my not be language-related, but they are still intelligent discussions.
greg   Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:19 pm GMT
Adam : « Most of my discussions my not be language-related, but they are still intelligent discussions. »

Ça dépend de ce que tu appelles l'intelligence, Adam. Je te trouve un peu optimiste.
Adam   Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:16 pm GMT
You find me optimistic? I wish you would speak English.

Of course I'm optimistic. I'm British, so we're happier and more optimistic than the French and most other Continental Europeans, according to statistics.
Benjamin   Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:01 pm GMT
>> Rubbish - there are a lot of differences between living in Britain than living in France, or living in Sweden than living in Italy. <<

Let's say you lived in Cornwall. Would your lifestyle change more if you then moved to Brittany or if you then moved to Caithness? I don't see how people can put different European lifestyles into neat little boxes called 'British', 'French', 'Italian', 'Swedish' etc.

I'd also argue that the life of someone from, say, Germany from a similar background to me (e.g. liberal, middle class, suburban, university educated professional parents, potential Cambridge/Heidelberg candidate etc.) has a LOT more in common with my life than that of a British person from a manual working class background living on a sink estate.

I suppose this depends on whether one's brain is programmed to look primarily for similarities or primarily for differences. Probably the majority of Westerners are left-brain dominant and thus generally tend to look first for differences between two things. I, on the other hand, am right-brain dominant, which means that when I go to, say, France, I first look for all the ways in which France is similar to Britain and pay comparatively little attention to the differences (which seem relatively minor on the grand scheme of things, at least to me).
Guest   Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:10 pm GMT
>>Of course I'm optimistic. I'm British, so we're happier and more optimistic than the French and most other Continental Europeans, according to statistics. <<

LOL Greg admit it you gotta laugh at Adam's messages at times LOL.
Benjamin   Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:13 pm GMT
Ha, always 'according to statistics'. How can one measure 'happiness' empirically anyway?
Guest   Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:37 am GMT
brits desperately move to Spain . lol lol lol

Adam don't you go to live in Spain ? LOL
Jim   Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:05 am GMT
Adam writes "Wikipedia seems to be against Britain's convesrion [sic] to Metric." Adam seems not to understand what Wikipedia is. Wikipedia is neither for nor against.
greg   Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:21 am GMT
Adam : « Most of my discussions (...) are still intelligent discussions. »

Adam : « I'm British, so we're happier and more optimistic than the French and most other Continental Europeans, according to statistics. »

Adam : « saying "The cat" is more of an integral part of our culture than saying "Le chat." »

Adam : « Brussels surrenders. »

Adam : « The failure of ESA's Mars probe was also due to its use of metric. »

Adam : « Even though the temperatures are the same, it gives the impression that France has colder weather. »

Adam : « Metric measurements are mostly used, in Europe »

Adam : « Telling temperature in Imperial is more accurate than Metric. »

Adam, ta conception des « dicussions intelligentes » est très *élastique*. Difficile à mesurer. Même avec un mètre...
Tiffany   Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:33 am GMT
Now was there really any need for that greg? ;) We all know what Adam's motto is: "If it's British, it sure as hell is better! And if it isn't - well, you know how that goes." His "intelligent" "discussion*" stems from this - and never falters. If he's nothing more, he's predictable.

*Is copying and pasting really conversation?
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:34 am GMT
What is that famous saying?

"British is best."
Guest   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:46 am GMT
Jeez Adam....... LOL
Tiffany   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:50 am GMT
Thank you Adam. I rest my case.
greg   Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:41 pm GMT
Si Tiffany ; lo che dice è vero... (désolé pour mon italien approximatif !)