a (metric) unit

Geoff_One   Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:41 pm GMT
Grams and kg do not measure weight in the metric system.
Grams and kg measure mass.
Newtons measure weight in the metric system.
Guest   Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:29 pm GMT
But everyone keeps telling me "I weigh (so many) kgs" ! We'll have to get them to convert their "weights" to Newtons each time since they're imperially challenged.
eric   Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:30 pm GMT
Geoff-one

<<<<Grams and kg do not measure weight in the metric system. >>>>

Thanks for the correction, but be prepared to wait for ever till people buy their stuff in Newtons. :-)
Guest   Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:08 pm GMT
Actually they really do buy their stuff in mass (kg), even if they don't realise it. The scales that read 1 kg of tomatoes rely on weight or force (of gravity) to extrapolate the mass.
Jim   Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:38 pm GMT
I can't claim to speak for the whole country ... nor even most of it ... but I'm an Aussie who gives his height in centimetres. The newer lot of grandmothers will have raised their own kids in metric so they'll be used to it. I reckon you probably mean "great grandmothers".

I found that if you cut your onions outside, you'll be fine.
eric   Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:12 am GMT
Jim
<<<I can't claim to speak for the whole country ... nor even most of it ... but I'm an Aussie who gives his height in centimetres. The newer lot of grandmothers will have raised their own kids in metric so they'll be used to it. I reckon you probably mean "great grandmothers". >>>

Question: how many of your friends do likewise?

Yea, make it g g mother.
eric   Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:14 am GMT
<<<Actually they really do buy their stuff in mass (kg), even if they don't realise it.>>>

Back to square one.
eric   Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:21 am GMT
Jim

<<<I found that if you cut your onions outside, you'll be fine. >>>

Probably depends on the direction of the wind? Doing it your way, Russians would have to forgo eating onions in winter.
eric   Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:36 am GMT
Came across an interesting fact the other day. Changing the date on my computer to the 24 hr. clock, I quickly looked what other measurement possibilities besides metric microsoft offered. I was surprised to find only US (USC). Apart from being bloody arrogant it is another goodd reason for Britain and Canada to finish its switch to metric. I think Yanks really think they live on a planet of their own.
Damian in London N2   Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:16 pm GMT
I can't imagine any country in the 21st century still clinging on to very outdated measures such as Imperial. I mean, just look at them when written down.....3lbs 5ozs for example. It's so archaic looking. It looks a bit like the old monetary system the UK once had.....checking up on google this country went over to decimal currency in way back in 1971and before that the whole money set up was a three tier effort......pounds, shillings and pence or £.s.d. so that what is now £3.38 to us in 2006 would have been £3 7s 10d (three pounds seven shillings and ten pence) prior to 1971. Imagine trying to adapt that to modern technology!

How are quaint old fashioned three tier type Imperial measures from the dark ages going to cope with any future technological developments when a straightforward decimal system is much simpler?
greg   Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:09 pm GMT
Damian in London N2 : « I can't imagine any country in the 21st century still clinging on to very outdated measures such as Imperial. »

Et peut-être la modernité nous ramènera-t-elle au temps décimal du calendrier Révolutionnaire (ou Républicain) ?

Automne : vendémiaire (22 septembre — 21 octobre), brumaire (22 octobre — 20 novembre) & frimaire (21 novembre — 20 décembre).

Hiver : nivôse (21 décembre — 19 janvier), pluviôse (20 janvier — 18 février) & ventôse (19 février — 20 mars).

Printemps : germinal (21 mars — 19 avril), floréal (20 avril — 19 mai) & prairial (20 mai — 18 juin).

Été : messidor (19 juin — 18 juillet), thermidor (19 juillet — 17 août) & fructidor (18 août — 16 septembre).

Il semble que nos aînés Révolutionnaires aient manqué d'imagination pour l'hiver...

La semaine était abolie au bénéfice de la décade : primidi, duodi, tridi, quartidi, quintidi, sextidi, septidi, octidi, nonidi & décadi.

Tous les jours de l'année (30 par mois) avaient un nom spécifique : Myrtille était le nom du 3e nonidi de germinal et Immortelle le nom du 2nd duodi de vendémiaire.

Heureusement pour Adam, le calendrier Républicain a été aboli le 11 nivôse an XIV ( soit le 1er janvier 1806).
mike   Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:06 am GMT
Geoff_One:
**Grams and kg do not measure weight in the metric system.
Grams and kg measure mass.
Newtons measure weight in the metric system. **

Since you have brought this up, I was wondering if a weight scale which reads pounds will give a correct reading if you use it on moon, or not.
Guest   Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:39 pm GMT
You'll weigh 6 times less.
Geoff_One   Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:50 pm GMT
I think Guest is right, although I havn't checked in detail.

In the Imperial system, slugs measure mass.
Jim   Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:10 pm GMT
Technically speaking the slug is not part of the imperial system. Says Wikipedia ...

"The term imperial should not be applied to ... post-imperial inventions such as the slug or poundal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_System

How many of my friends do likewise? Good question. It's not a topic that comes up every day. I s'pose it's not as if it never comes up though. I just don't recall any specific instance. That doesn't say much ... or does it.

As Australia is pretty much (all but) completely metricated; scales are in kg, tape measures are in m/cm/mm; I think I'd have been somewhat surprised to have heard someone talking feet and inches or stones and pounds. I probably would remember it. I do remember once, though, some surfer talking about the height of a wave in feet.

The Russians could always wear goggles in winter.