Americans on Antimoon!

no diacritics   Sat May 29, 2010 11:04 pm GMT
<<@Jordan:
But they do need diacritics:
- when writing the foreign languages you claim they are so eagerly learning nowadays.
- when referring to any foreign name, like São Paulo, Jyväskylä or Besançon.>>

Yes, and when writing Russian names it must be done in Cyrillic: Москва, Новосибирск, Анатолий Сергеевич.... Well, I hope you know how to do it. And why not Chinese names with Chinese characters too?
San-g-real   Sat May 29, 2010 11:47 pm GMT
@no diacritics:
This is a very interesting debate.
I would say:
Different versions of the Latin alphabet ≈ dialects
Different alphabets ≈ languages.
Stuff in foreign languages is translated, stuff in closely related dialects are not.
Down with diacritics   Sun May 30, 2010 12:47 am GMT
Typing diacritics is just a waste of life - I recommend you all drop them out of your over-analytical languages and do something more constructive than twisting your fingers in odd ways on your keyboards to type them.

European diacritic-infested spellings were invented by library nerds, unlike English, which evolved from dumb anglo-saxon-norse-farmer-speak, and is therefore thankfully free of them. Plus, because Henry VIII sacked the monks, there were no crazed scholars hellbent on compllcating the language any longer.

Dutch has done pretty well, too, in ridding itself of diacritic hell. But sadly, German advisors totally ruined Turkish with their own sickening diacritics.
San-g-real   Sun May 30, 2010 12:56 am GMT
La réponse européenne, selon Proust:
« La vraie vie, la vie enfin découverte et éclaircie, la seule vie par conséquent pleinement vécue, c'est la littérature. »
....avec des signes diacritiques :-)
JGreco   Sun May 30, 2010 1:01 am GMT
hahaha...no. that is just a family name which happens to mean the Greek where that part of the family came from.