"Vos" in Spain and Mexico

vos   Sun May 30, 2010 2:53 pm GMT
What would it sound like if someone used exclusively "vos", rather than tu, vosotros, and usted(es) in Mexico and Spain? Would it be understood? Would it sound odd? Would it sound formal or informal? What would peoples' reaction be?
Matematik   Sun May 30, 2010 3:18 pm GMT
Who gives a fuck what spic natives think?
THe reaction would be   Sun May 30, 2010 10:35 pm GMT
<<What would peoples' reaction be? >>

¡Sudaca de mierda!
su merced   Mon May 31, 2010 3:02 am GMT
What about "su merced"? How would it sound in modern Spanish?
Franco   Mon May 31, 2010 3:05 am GMT
I prefer "su vuecencia".
Serious answer   Mon May 31, 2010 4:37 am GMT
To the original poster:

If someone used Vos in Spain or Mexico people would think he/she is foreign, most likely Argentinian or Central American, however it that person was a native Mexican/Spaniard and still used Vos, people would be like "Why the fuck are you talking like that?", it'd be similar ti an American saying "Mate, ahh you suhh you want me to take my lorry to pick you up?"
jim   Mon May 31, 2010 5:10 am GMT
is vos a more archaic form of the word or something. they use that in portuguese dont they
Carlos I de España   Mon May 31, 2010 9:16 am GMT
Vos sounds Argentinian.
And archaic.
It is an archaic form of vuecencia, which is a contraction of "vuestra excelencia", your excellency.

Imagine having to say "your excellency" every time you address someone, people would probably end up contracting it into "yox".
LadyLuxembourg   Mon May 31, 2010 11:07 am GMT
Vos is used in the loveliest Mexican state: Chiapas.
Rob   Mon May 31, 2010 1:33 pm GMT
Vos:

Porque te gustaria revivir la utilización de "vos" en vez de "tú" , cual seria el beneficio para la lengua Española para los hispanoparlantes? o es porque crees que se escucha mejor?

Otro comentario, " su merced" se utiliza aun en Mexico pero en comunidades remotas del sur de este pais y tiende a desaparecer.
jim   Mon May 31, 2010 6:14 pm GMT
really? i thought vos came directly from the latin vos (which also gave rise to os, portuguese vos, french vous, italian and romanian voi) and vosotros was that + otros, or "others"
Franco   Mon May 31, 2010 8:32 pm GMT
I am so tired of disgusting whores that address me with "tu". If I am an stranger for them, then how come they use tu? I don't ask they address me with "su vuecencia" but at least "usted" would be fine. It's sad how people have lost good manners .
Pete from Peru   Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:16 am GMT
<<really? i thought vos came directly from the latin vos (which also gave rise to os, portuguese vos, french vous, italian and romanian voi) and vosotros was that + otros, or "others">>

Yes jim you're right. The other guy is confusing the origin of "usted" with the "vos" thing.

"vos" is standard in Argentine Spanish, but it's used completely different from what you suggest. Native speakers speaking like that would get strange WTF looks. And non-natives would sound a little irritating actually; I mean, why use conjugations nobody ever even think about... Learn the right thing. Tu/Ud, Vosotros/Uds, and that's it.
LadyLuxembourg   Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 am GMT
Who cares about Peru, vos is used in the richest countries:

Costa Rica (along with Usted; tú is never used)
Chile (along with tú or informal Usted)
Uruguay
Argentina
Franco   Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:59 am GMT
<< Chile (along with tú or informal Usted)

>>

On the contrary, usted is used in formal contexts in Chilean Spanish, and in all Spanish speaking countries as far as I know. In some dialects like Andalusian Spanish usted is not necessarily formal, but then there is not a formal pronoun at all. If a formal pronoun exists in a particular Spanish dialect, it is usted always. Tu/vos are always informal despite vos initially was aformal pronoun in European Spanish before fading out.