London Accents...

Thomas   Sun May 30, 2010 8:15 pm GMT
What is more common in London yod dropping after t,d,n or yod coalescence?
Station manager   Mon May 31, 2010 12:58 am GMT
My opinion, for London:

tune = choon, not tyoon or toon
dune = joon, not dyoon or doon
new = mix of noo and nyoo

The pure yod sounds archaic (pre 1960s-ish) or very posh nowadays.

The coalescence sounds ch and j are quite normal nowadays.

Yodless speech is heard in some places in England, in particular parts of East Anglia.
kevin   Mon May 31, 2010 11:18 am GMT
I don't like the DUNE/JUNE merger.
Lell   Mon May 31, 2010 12:21 pm GMT
What a gay accent.
Thomas   Mon May 31, 2010 3:27 pm GMT
@Station manager , thank you very much it is useful knowledge, now I think I'm gonna burn my dictionaries - because all of them use (ty, dy) instead of ch, j . I need a new attichood to this :)
Lell   Mon May 31, 2010 4:38 pm GMT
So you WANT to sound gay? Genius.
Thomas   Mon May 31, 2010 5:08 pm GMT
What is gay in yod coalescence, why should I say Tyooseday, just to be closer to American Tooseday? No, I hate gays, but the way you judge people by their accent is just - genius... :( So, Lell how should I speak to sound rough?
P. King   Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:37 pm GMT
London has these accents -

Abo-Cockney

Neo-Cockney (Jamaican influenced form of Cockney spoken my the younger generations and inner city chavs of whatever colour and ethnicity - has very distinctive sound of it's own - slow, deep and grumpy)

Estuary (milder high pitch form of cockney)

Mockney (chavs from London's surrounding outer townships trying to be more Cockney than the real Cockneys)

Abo-Posh (upper classes and their higher middle class hanger-ons and middle class wannabes)

Accentless accent - watered-down blend of posh/college/media style speech
.   Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:42 pm GMT
Pre-Mockney (original accent of folk from London's outter boroughs and surrounding townships which is basically estuary accent but with more obvious shades of farmer accents as sampled by David Brent from the office)
Lell   Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:59 pm GMT
I'm not judging people by their accent. I'm not saying that if you speak that accent you ARE gay, I'm saying that you SOUND gay (not gay as in literal homosexuals, gay as in fag, you know).

Because it's written Tuesday. Why would you pronounce it Chuesday? It is a wrong, dialectal form, and is bound to just create more confusion.

And by the way, Tuesday is different from Toosday in AmE.
Watchya clawk   Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:08 pm GMT
Oporchoonity
an amerik   Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:10 pm GMT
yod coalescence makes me giggle
Thomas   Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:21 pm GMT
P. King so that "accentless accent" is something like Craig David's speech?
Lell, you know it's hard to decide how to pronounce some words, I personally don't like that Chooseday ... but probably as it is becoming a majority pronunciation in southern England I had no choice. I would like to say it as Tooseday but with other typical British style pronunciations used in my accent I would sound off with that particular element ...
Trimac20   Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:00 am GMT
From what I hear, yod-dropping seems the majority among younger people in almost all parts of England.

It's even taking hold here in Australia, which until 10 or so years ago was exclusively yod-coalescing.

My 'tune' sounds a bit like 'tjyune', dune like 'djune', and new like 'niew'.
chocochoco   Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:00 am GMT
It's so difficult for me to speak like London people but i will try because I want to make my dream come true.