Which is more beneficial for a deeper knowledge of English,

ee3   Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:05 am GMT
French or German?
Matematik   Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:49 am GMT
As a British person, the only European nation I feel any attatchment or similarity to is France. French is rather similar to English while German is absolutely nothing like English.
Stephanie   Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:32 pm GMT
Most definitely French. During the Norman occupation, about 10,000 French words were adopted into English, of which some three-fourths are still in use today. I am a native English speaker and during my three years of French courses in school, I was pleasantly suprised by the number of similarities in the language.
Smart one   Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:51 pm GMT
Either both (with Latin too) or none.

Really, instead of wasting time on learning a new language, keep studying English.
@ee3   Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:21 pm GMT
Basic German and basic English are very similar. With no knowledge of German, you should be able to pick your way through a German fairy tale.

Advanced French and advanced English are very similar. With no knowledge of French, you should be able to pick your way through a French technical or scientific document.
Estefania   Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:24 pm GMT
Really?!
dumb chick   Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:28 pm GMT
"German is absolutely nothing like English."

Haha. That's hilarious.

French is probably more useful than German for a deeper knowledge of English, but German and English share a lot of common root words.

That is, if "deeper" means the kind of vocabulary you need to know to be educated and not the kind of vocabulary shunned by Homer Simpson
(who thought "garage" sounded too French).