Mr. President

Alison   Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:00 pm GMT
I noticed former American president Clinton is addressed as Mr. President. Do retired generals and ambasadors also keep their titles even when they no longer hold office?
new jack city   Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:39 pm GMT
yes they do, but always in parenthesis "retired"
When addressing them though they keep their titles. Also politicians as well in the USA. A senator is always referred to as that even after retirement.
Alison   Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:54 pm GMT
Thanks for clueing me in.
JakubikF   Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:39 pm GMT
I think it's common in may countres. For istance politicians in Poland are called the higher title they have had.
Uriel   Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:11 am GMT
I think if an officer RESIGNS their commission, rather than retiring with it, they are no longer entitled to their former rank. My father resigned his after his tour of duty, and no one has ever called him "lieutenant" since, even though he worked in the civil service on military installations for years afterwards.
JJM   Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:16 am GMT
Uriel: Military customs in most countries set a limitation on who may use a rank in retirement. Generally, less than 12 years service and below the rank of captain (army), you do not use your former rank.

Your father, as a lieutenant, was simply to low in rank to meet this particular social protocol.