Most common pronunciation of ''Mcdonald's'' in the United St

Geoff_One   Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:25 pm GMT
Thanks Guest,
I am pleased someone was able to work it out.
In recent McDonald's advertisments for Yass, I have seen
the golden arches logo put after the town name. For other
towns the golden arches logo is typically placed before the
town name.
Rom   Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:51 am GMT
>>Re: 'McDonald's I've never heard any native-born English speakers pronounce it anything other than "Mick-don-uldz."<<

Hello from Lake Forest Park, Washington. Wow! Cool! McDonald's pronounced as Mickdonalds! I've always said it as Muckdonalds. I'm in Washington right now and I just asked ten random people how they pronounce this word, and 9 out of ten of them said Muckdonalds. It's also pronounced Muckdonald's in British Columbia and Oregon too. I've never heard it pronounced as "Mickdonald's" before. Interesting...
Guest   Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am GMT
>>In recent McDonald's advertisments for Yass, I have seen
the golden arches logo put after the town name. <<

And I always thought the name of the town was Myass.
Lazar   Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:06 am GMT
<<What about in ''object'', Lazar? I say /@b.dZEkt/. Do you also pronounce that with /I/? That word also has an intial closed syllable.>>

No, I pronounce "object" as [@b"dZEkt]. I guess I didn't think through *all* initial closed syllables. But it does sound unnatural for me to use [@] in words like "advance" or "admit", or in "McDonald's" or "McNally".
Kirk   Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:17 am GMT
<<No, I pronounce "object" as [@b"dZEkt]. I guess I didn't think through *all* initial closed syllables. But it does sound unnatural for me to use [@] in words like "advance" or "admit", or in "McDonald's" or "McNally".>>

Same with me--I also only have [@b"dZEkt] for <object>. Someday maybe I'll figure out a clearer rule for [I] from /@/, but for now I can only say what sounds right when I say it.
Chamonix   Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:09 pm GMT
Never heard it pronounced Mikdonalds here in North.
I prounounce it MacDonalds, though
Guest   Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:22 am GMT
No, you pronounce it "Macdô" or "Mac-donne-ale".

(LOL).
Young-Won Kim   Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:48 am GMT
*(Forum) Group: Comparative phonetics

The (comparative) study (in the structure/mode/way of phonetics, pronunciation, articulation, or whatever; that is, in the difference of speaking mouth postures and resultant speaking weight/force center points) between English/foreign languages and the mother tongue, for better (more practical/effective/smooth) hearing/speaking of English/foreign languages.

Please visit the following site and click/participate the group (board/description) “comparative phonetics” (below.) * academici admission; free of charge.

http://www.academici.com/net/lingistics
http://www.academici.com/cgi-bin/forum.fpl?op=showforum&id=7681
Guest   Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:11 am GMT
Re: McDonalds: I pronounce it "Muck-Donalds".

But I hear this guy's pronunciation as "Mick-Donalds". Can someone confirm this?

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/octopodes/483/bifoeqzrVjnV9x9uX3Q/Wesley_Willis-Rock_n_Roll_McDo.mp3
Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:43 am GMT
"Mickdonalds" -- I guess that's why it's often called Mickie Ds.
Adam   Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:07 am GMT
My brother who, obviously, like me is both English and Scottish (50/50), says that words such as McDonald (a Scottish name) should be pronounced in a slightly different way than MacDonald. On the last one, the vowel sound between the M and the C is more obvious and noticeable than the first one.

But I don't know if he;s right.
andre in usa   Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 am GMT
So you guys use a schwa in "object." I've never noticed anyone saying it that way. I say it as [AbdZEkt]. It's interesting just how many subtle regional differences there are.