Who are your favorite English-speaking writers?

Brian   Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:41 pm GMT
My favs...

American: F. Scott Fitzgerald and Pearl S. Buck.

English: Daniel Defoe, George Orwell and Harold Pinter.
Thomas   Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:08 pm GMT
My favs: Tolkien and Conrad
Damian Banbury Oxfordshir   Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:11 pm GMT
Math Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:41 am GMT says:

***There is plenty of writers other than those from America and England worth looking into***

I do hope you are not a native English speaker as it incumbent on those of us who are to use correct grammatical English each time they contribute to this forum. It matters not which form of English you use - BE or AE.

Bear in mind that there are visitors to Antimoon who are not native English speakers and who hope to improve their own proficiency in the language by relying on us to set a good example.
Math   Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:17 pm GMT
>>>There *are plenty of writers other than those from America and England worth looking into.<<<

Thank you for pointing out my mistake, a bit embarrassing I must admit.
Tellus   Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:01 pm GMT
American: Ernest Hemingway

English: George Orwell
.   Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:16 pm GMT
<Unless you can read a book in another language to native-proficiency, translations are merely shallow interpretations of the author's original work>

Your sentence doesn't make sense. If you could read a book in another language to native proficiency, you wouldn't need translations.

(And the fact that you could read books with native proficiency wouldn't stop those translations being shallow, if they were indeed shallow.)
Barney   Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:53 pm GMT
H.P. Lovecraft.

"The Call of Cthulhu" is a prime example of the greatness of the English language. Much better than Shakespeare. Read it here:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu
Matematik   Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:08 am GMT
<<If you could read a book in another language to native proficiency>>

Hence the use of the word "unless", you dumb fuck.
danny from russia   Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:16 am GMT
"no-one gives a fuck about and write in this peculiar form of English no one else does. "

75% of English users live in North America.
.   Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:05 am GMT
<<Unless you can read a book in another language to native-proficiency, translations are merely shallow interpretations of the author's original work>
<Hence the use of the word "unless", you dumb fuck. >>

I think you've misunderstood the use of "unless" in conditional structures. Here is a brief lesson:

a. Unless I am wrong, you are a dumb fuck.

This implies of course:

b. If I *am* wrong, however, you are *not* a dumb fuck.

See how that works?

Now, take your original sentence:

c. Unless you can read a book in another language to native-proficiency, translations are merely shallow interpretations of the author's original work

By the same principle, this implies:

d. If you *can* read a book in another language to native-proficiency, however, translations are *not* merely shallow interpretations of the author's original work.

Do you see now where you went wrong?
Matematik   Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:15 am GMT
<<75% of English users live in North America. >>

You seem to be making the assumption Canadians use that strange American English too, I can assure you American bastardisations are only in common use in the USA.

Just because a large group of people make spelling mistakes doesn't make it any more correct. The majority of Spanish speakers live in South America, yet I'm sure you'd learn Castilian Spanish over South American.

I'm not surprised you're singing America's praise though. I recall in another thread you said you hated everything Russia stood for and more or less wished you were American.
Kittenscheissen   Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:10 pm GMT
>>>You seem to be making the assumption Canadians use that strange American English too, I can assure you American bastardisations are only in common use in the USA.

First of all, it's "bastardization." If you're gonna write in a forum on the [american] internet using an [american] operating system, then either write American English, 'cause you're in American territory.

Second, Canadian English is a mixture of American and British English, but is much more similar to the American one in pronunciation and both versions can be used in writing.

And third, American English is the preferred english in Japan, and is becoming the standard in new schools in India. In fact, the only place where British English is taught is in Europe, and the reason thereof is because the UK is in the EU.

>>>Just because a large group of people make spelling mistakes doesn't make it any more correct. The majority of Spanish speakers live in South America, yet I'm sure you'd learn Castilian Spanish over South American.

Yeah, but if South American was easier to learn, more consistent in its pronunciation and roots, had its pronunciation adapted to its speakers instead of stubbornly trying to preserve it and scorning who didn't speak it that way, if South American expressions had deeply influenced all the other varieties of Spanish, AND if South American just happened to be the most influential country in the world, well then it would be utterly retarded not to consider South American standard English but just a "bastardisation [sic]"

So sorry, but there is no reason to learn any other English dialect. It's just gonna make it harder for students to learn it (no wonder Europeans are awful at English, including the Brits of course). Teaching British English is like teaching Latin. It's a dead language. So stop beating the dead horse and get over it.
calling all stations   Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:49 pm GMT
The Yankee tongue destroys the English language like water does good wine, it dilutes it.

And as this poster puts it...

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:50 pm GMT : wrote
>>>the Robotic un-alive monotone sounding Yanky drivel<<<

Indeed.

>>>Second, Canadian English is a mixture of American and British English, but is much more similar to the American one in pronunciation and both versions can be used in writing.<<<

Wrong, it is a mixture of English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish. And French, where French is spoken. Together they make up what is called Canadian English.

Look up Commonwealth English, it be a good start for you.
calling all stations   Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:15 pm GMT
...and Canadian French, which I unfortunately omitted in my previous post. To any French Canadians I apologize.
Kittenscheissen   Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:00 pm GMT
>>>The Yankee tongue destroys the English language like water does good wine, it dilutes it.

Oh really, 'cause the Brits are the ones who speak as if they had a big lump in their anus.

>>>Wrong, it is a mixture of English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish. And French, where French is spoken. Together they make up what is called Canadian English.

Oh, really? We were talking about correct and British English, not ALL of the languages which compose Canadian English. Looking it up on the american internet on an american encyclopedia using an american OS doesn't make you sound smarter, asshole.