The Articles (a-an)

Sarah   Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:02 am GMT
Hi Dear,

I need a hand!

What is the difference between the articles above??
I know that (a) use with singular and before a consenant sound ,but (an) with plural and before vowel sound !!but there are more things about this matter I do not know? ...
How can I use (a) in general,or with the name of somebody to show I do not know the person.
I found lots of uses of (a) &(an) in the dictionary but I could not get it.
Sho   Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:46 am GMT
Both are for singular nouns, but a is used before a consonant and an is used before a vowel.
an isnt used for plural nouns.

For example,
a pen

but

an expensive pen

also,
a university (/ju:n@v@`:sIti/ starts with a consonant /j/ in many dialects)
Sarah   Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:25 am GMT
Thanks Sho,
But when can I use any one of (a\an \the ) before the noun ?
I mean.. what are the conditions for them ...especially (the)?
Sho   Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:54 am GMT
"The" is used when you refer to something specific, and when both the speaker and the listener are clear about what specific thing they're talking about.
"A" or "an" is used when you introduce something new or something only the speaker know about.

E.g.
A: I went to the movies with "a" friend of mine last night.
B: Who's "the" friend you went to the movies with?
A: Thomas, do you know him?
Sarah   Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:49 am GMT
Sho,...thanks for clarification.
Brennus,...I am just a beginner learner,but this is a certificate I proud it.

I ask about the case that Identify the use of every one of the articals (a \an \the )?
If I say < I go to the University !>
or <I go to University> which one is correct?
JJM   Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:56 am GMT
You should also be aware that, in addition to "a/an," "the" has two distinct forms. The problem is that they are both spelled the same so we tend to forget they are pronounced differently.

Before a vowel, "the" sounds more like "thee" than "thuh."

the ("thuh") large house

the ("thee") only house

The "thee" version of 'the" is also occasionally used for emphasis too:

"They make 'thee' best hamburgers in that restaurant."
Kirk   Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 am GMT
<<You would say "I go to THE universty (definite articel); "I go to A university (indefinite article). >>

But it's worth noting that many dialects or macrodialect groupings (such as British English) do say "I go to university" for what Americans normally would say "I go to college."

<<This is a rare exception because the 'u' in university is pronounced in English like a consonant (or semi-consonant) 'y'.>>

It is /j/ in English. [junI"v3`sI4i].

<<In French (université) , Spanish (universidad), German ( Universität), Russian (universitet) etc. the 'u' still has a vowel sound like /oo/. >>

In French it's /y/ (as in "tu" /ty/), while Spanish and German have /u/ there. /oo/ (or /o:/) is a long /o/.
Benjamin   Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:00 pm GMT
Generally...

'I go to university'
— means: I attend and study at a university on a regular basis, similar to 'I go to school'

'I go to a university'
— means: I go to any university, non-specific

'I go to the university'
— means: I go to a specific university of/in a certain place (e.g. 'the University of Cambridge')
Sarah   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:52 am GMT
I would like to express my thanks all of you for your geat reactions..

If I say --I have an apple--is this right ?
Also I confuse about what JJM mentioned above--thee,thuh--you mean before all vowels sound without exception we pronounce It (thee) ,and before consenant sound (thuh) ?