roses and rosa's

Aussie   Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:06 am GMT
Do you make a distinction? They're pronounced the same for me.

roses - /r@}z@z/

rosa's - /r@}z@z/
Travis   Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:20 am GMT
For me they are different from each other, being:

"roses" : /"rozIz/ -> ["r\o:.zI:z_0]
"Rosa's" : /"roz@z/ -> ["r\o:.z@:z_0]
Kirk   Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:36 am GMT
I have [@] as the final vowel in "Rosa's" and [I] as the final vowel in "roses."
Uriel   Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:36 am GMT
They're pretty darn close for me, although in my mind, of course, I'm saying -as or -es. But in rapid speech they might be less distinguishable. Unless, of course, the Rosa in question is an obviously Spanish name, in which case I would give the S an S-sound, and not a Z-sound, as in "Rosa's cantina".
Turn it up   Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:38 am GMT
I pronounce them the same too ("roe-z's"). But what system is /r@}z@z/ in? If X-sampa, your /@}/ doesn't look quite right, considering we have the same accent.
Tiffany   Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:49 am GMT
Very different sound for me. "roses" and "Rose's" would be identical, but "Rosa's" has a very different vowel sound at the end. I'm thinking it's probably the "@" Kirk and Travis have, but of course I can't be sure. "roses" is then probably the "I".
Jim   Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:12 am GMT
same
Kirk   Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:33 am GMT
<<Very different sound for me. "roses" and "Rose's" would be identical, but "Rosa's" has a very different vowel sound at the end. I'm thinking it's probably the "@" Kirk and Travis have, but of course I can't be sure. "roses" is then probably the "I".>>

Yeah you probably have the same vowels we do there.
Lazar   Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:15 am GMT
For me, "Rosa's" always uses [@], whereas "roses" seems sort of variable between [@] and [I]. There's definitely an underlying phonemic distinction between those two words, because if I were singing and had to place an unnatural stress on the second syllable, "Rosa's" would have [@]/[V] whereas "roses" would definitely have [I]. But in rapid speech I think the two words can approach homophony.

<<I pronounce them the same too ("roe-z's"). But what system is /r@}z@z/ in? If X-sampa, your /@}/ doesn't look quite right, considering we have the same accent.>>

I'm not sure what accent you (Turn it up) have, but /@}/ is the standard transcription for the "long O" phoneme in Australian English.