how is correct "english english" or "british

Claude   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:06 pm GMT
Hi Pravi.

I mean the special acrobatics with the tongue creating a special modulation of the language.

Cheers. Claude.
Claude   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:07 pm GMT
Pravi, I have forgotten, escapable should be replaced by unescapable.

Cheers.
Claude   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:24 pm GMT
Pravi,

It's me again, please read inescapable instead.

Are you from India ?

Claude.
Tiffany   Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:06 pm GMT
Indians not born and raised here have a very distinct accent. Most of them speak English well though, in my experience. Many of them seem to adhere to the rules British English (ie. non-rhotic version), but not all. They do not sound British however. There are many people from India here in California and also other countries out there like Bangladesh(sp?) and Pakistan.
Claude   Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
I am used to hearing Indian people speak English in southern India.

And I like the way they speak English in Bombay, with some honey sweetness in the voice.

When I made my comment about "Rough English" I had in mind the way most Tamil people speak English in southern India. They are used to make whirl their tongue when speaking Tamil, and when they speak English, their tongue is still whirling, even dancing.

I hope my comment has not been disturbing anybody. If so please apologize. It was not my intention to be hard on somebody. But calling a spade a spade has never killed anybody.

Cheers. Claude.
Pravi   Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:01 pm GMT
Claude,

I am from India. Have you heard of Bangalore? Thatz the place where I live.
True, some people in the south speak with a singing accent or even with their tongue whirling. The reason is due to their strong mother tongue accent.

:) For sure, you are not disturbing anybody, coz you have just shared your opinions.
How do you know India much better?

<<Indians not born and raised here have a very distinct accent. Most of them speak English well though, in my experience. Many of them seem to adhere to the rules British English >>

Tiffany,
You are right. The reason being, we were ruled by the Britons for centuries. This has had a strong influence on us. However, we do not adhere to those strict rules and their style of speech. (Do I need to mention accent? :)
As an example, we have almost 30% of the employees in our organization who can speak both BE and AE. But when we speak normally, we tend to use our native accent.
This might be due to the Indian nature of diversity, and obviously the influence of American companies which were and are being outsourced to India.

Cheers.
Claude   Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:16 am GMT
Hi Pravi and Tiffani !

I will be back this evening. I was somewhat afraid to have told something I should not have. But I am happy now that I know I have not disturbed with my comment.

I will answer to your question "How do you know India much better? " and tell you more...

Cheers and Thanks.
Claude.
annonymous   Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:52 am GMT
indian langauages are rich in culture.family ties will make them to be slow to follow english rules.as far as to learn english better,what indians lack is voice.indian homes dont allow loud or clear voice this makes indians voice english in mellow voice.hence,once indians get job in any type interacting with americans or any persons from any part of globe will shine well and can satisfy them both in writings and in speaking.it is chance to get sufficient money will trigger great change.
annonymous   Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:59 am GMT
there is too much money for those who start to learn speak write in english,asians have sincere quality to work if ther is lot of money,yes and also once u get hooked up for english,the scope is infinite.never compare ur self if the rating is good or low.just continue the journey in english.just follow chinese proverb,miles to go,miles to go.and the first step towards it and continue ur journey is what is needed.words words and later grammar automatically gets in.if u want to follow rules all the time u can write or speak hardly.
coolfreddy   Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:35 pm GMT
hi everybody! this is a very nice forum!!! I have just a doubt. What word does the vast majority of Indian people use for mathematics. I mean, do they usually say <<Mathematics>> or <<Math>> like many USA people do?
Thanx to u all:)
freddy