English spreads

Sander   Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:53 pm GMT
=>The people of Central London are the richest people, per capita, in Europe<=

Rubbish.
Adam   Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:01 pm GMT
"Adam : tu es malade ou à court d'inspiration ?"

Sen be kýskanç, çünkü sen asla yenmek bizi içinde savaþým.
Guest   Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:33 pm GMT
<=>The people of Central London are the richest people, per capita, in Europe<=

Rubbish. >

I came across a site that claimed Central Moscow had the richest people - which I frankly don't agree with.
Uriel   Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:52 pm GMT
Well, the whale is now dead, Adam.

The year 1815 also marked the end of the War of 1812 between Great Britain and the US. It's one of those pesky little conflicts that no one ever remembers much about after school (except the Canadians, who harp on and on about it whenever they're trying to score points against the US) -- but according to the author of The Birth of the Modern, the War of 1812 signalled the beginning of the modern era and underlaid many of the power structures that would play a major role in subsequent world events. The biggest one? The War of 1812 normalized the relationship between the UK and the US, and set the stage for our close political relationship ever since.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:18 pm GMT
The poverty in London is largely made up of immigrants, asylum seekers and ethnic minorities.....a fair number of them here illegally.

London's whale: RIP The poor thing must have taken the wrong turning somewhere near the Faeroes or maybe the Shetlands. How the fcuk it managed to get down as far as the Thames estuary and then as far up the river as Chelsea Bridge is anybody's guess but the poor thing provided loads of entertainment from the bridges and embankments, including Waterloo Bridge.

I'm off to London myself early Tuesday morning to work in the London office until next Friday then it's back home again. I shall get a short term season ticket for the Tube as it is horrendously expensive but as long as I can get from East Finchley to Canary Wharf each day I dinnae care and as a Scot I shall save on the dosh. hee hee. Cannae wait.
Guest   Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:41 pm GMT
The close relationship between the United Kingdom and the United States.....in spite of the many spats and (largely) tongue in cheek transatlantic barbed comments between us, the bond is undeniable. This is an observation from this side of the Pond.

When push comes to shove the majority of Brits will have to admit that they feel the relationship with America is somehow stronger than that with the rest of Europe. This may be partly down to the common Language link and similar cultural values, and spite of geography a fair number of British people don't particularly feel European as such, rightly or wrongly. As I say, it's an observation and not a personal opinion on my part.

Of course there are many differences between the UK and the USA, and culture shocks do occur when citizens of either go to live for any length of time in the others' country. But what I mean to point out here is that the number of Brits who feel a closer social alliance with the United States than they do with Continental Europe is pretty considerable.....perhaps the majority, I wouldn't be too sure on that, but anyway it's a lot of people.

This is not to say that the UK is ever likely to become the 51st State of the American Union. Nobody but nobody here in the UK, and most probably in the USA itself, wants that and it will never, ever happen. As they so often say in disputed relationship issues: We are just good friends.
Damian in Scotland, UK   Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:42 pm GMT
Ooops....last post was mine...forgot to add my monicker.
Uriel   Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:18 pm GMT
<<But what I mean to point out here is that the number of Brits who feel a closer social alliance with the United States than they do with Continental Europe is pretty considerable.....perhaps the majority, I wouldn't be too sure on that, but anyway it's a lot of people.>>

I think it is the same with us, regardless of where our ancestors ACTUALLY came from. Language and culture trump blood, it seems.

<<This is not to say that the UK is ever likely to become the 51st State of the American Union. Nobody but nobody here in the UK, and most probably in the USA itself, wants that and it will never, ever happen. >>

I think we're good on states, myself. Fifty is getting a little excessive as it is -- that's a lot of memorization in school!

<<As they so often say in disputed relationship issues: We are just good friends. >>

Those panties on the floor mean nothing -- nothing!
Benjamin   Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:36 pm GMT
What's the use in using data regarding per-capita incomes from 2004 in 2006?

>>When push comes to shove the majority of Brits will have to admit that they feel the relationship with America is somehow stronger than that with the rest of Europe.<<

I tend to think that the belief amongst some British people that Britain is some how more like America than the rest of Europe (or that British people are more like Americans than other Europeans) comes from ignorance, rather than reality. It's a complex issue: British people are far more likely to have visited other European countries than America, but at the same time, they're probably more likely to talk to Americans than other Europeans due to the language factor.

Personally, I find it difficult to fathom why some people feel that Britain is more like America than the rest of Europe, but that may come from the fact that I've had considerably more to do with other Europeans (and Americans, for that matter) than what is probably the average for most British people. From my experience, people from other Western European countries tend to be virtually the same as us on average (with the exception of the language differences) in terms of their lifestyle, attitudes and values. I have not seen the same to be true of Americans.

Equally, everyone I know who has visited the US has said that they've felt far more at home in France, Germany or Italy than in America.
wow   Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:32 pm GMT
37 % poverty in London is like in a third world country
Benjamin   Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:25 pm GMT
Admittedly, there is indeed quite a large gap between the richer and the poorer people in London. Out of all the 'more developed' countries, I believe that only the US and Italy have higher levels of child poverty than the UK.
greg   Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:52 am GMT
Adam : PIB par tête (euros)

Paris : 2.500.000
New-York : 1.250.000
Tokyo : 500.000
Pevensey : 200.000
Los Angeles : 50.000
Tijuana : 20.000
Londres : 5.000
Uriel   Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:34 am GMT
<<I tend to think that the belief amongst some British people that Britain is some how more like America than the rest of Europe (or that British people are more like Americans than other Europeans) comes from ignorance, rather than reality. It's a complex issue: British people are far more likely to have visited other European countries than America, but at the same time, they're probably more likely to talk to Americans than other Europeans due to the language factor.

From my experience, people from other Western European countries tend to be virtually the same as us on average (with the exception of the language differences) in terms of their lifestyle, attitudes and values. I have not seen the same to be true of Americans.>>

Isn't it interesting how our preconceptions shape our attitudes? You are right; England had much of the same "feel" to me as France and Germany and some of the other countries nearby. Probably socially and politically they are more similar to each other than to us as well, as you mention. Being American myself, it's a little harder for me to judge where we fit in -- the forest for the trees, and all. ;)
Damian in Scotland   Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:34 pm GMT
***Paris : 2.500.000
New-York : 1.250.000
Tokyo : 500.000
Pevensey : 200.000
Los Angeles : 50.000
Tijuana : 20.000
Londres : 5.000 ***

Absolutely no idea what PIB stands for without devoting time trying to find out. The mind boggles with possibilities.....people in briefs? If so, then I'm not surprised there are only 5,000 of them in Londres (sorry, London) as it's (BLEEPING) cold there right now by all accounts...I'll find out for myself tomorrow.....

I'm trying to work out what the (BLEEP) Pevensey is doing in that list of illustrious world cities! My atlas of the UK tells me that Pevensey is a tiny wee village on the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England, with a population of only about 4,000 people. Yet it apparently has a PIB par tete (with circumflex) of 200.000...whatever that is. Pevensey's worth a visit I reckon even though it's at the other end of the country.......especially as it's not far from Rye where the novelist E F Benson is buried......the old Cinque port of Rye, the famous Tilling of his books....where the formidable Mapp confronts her equally imperious rival Lucia.

I wonder if they were PIBs? Knowing their reputation, probably yes.
Damian in Scotland   Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:44 pm GMT
Brits do tend to share the same social attitudes as other European countries rather than those of the Americans when it comes to certain matters. Generally speaking we on this side of the Pond are not influenced by religious fundamentalism and a seemingly (from a European standpoint) increasing lack of tolerance in much of American society when it comes to things that do not stricly conform to a set pattern. That really is one of the fundamental differences between us which I mentioned in my earlier post. This has been illustrated here in this Forum from certain quarters when discussing certain topics.

But the English Language is a strong linking bond and you only have to listen to news reports to see how strong the Language link is back and forth across the Atlantic.