Both of "youse"

Claude   Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:55 pm GMT
In the war of worlds, a man speaking to Tom Cruise is telling to him :
"You're welcome to stay, both of youse."

Both the voice of the man and the subtitle mention : "both of youse".

Fist time I hear youse instead of you.

Is it American English ? Is it a standard usage to say youse instead of you ?

Thanks for your very welcome comments.

Claude
Pravi   Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:52 pm GMT
"Youse" is used to address/refer to two or more people.

It is common in vernacular varieties in the Northeast, particularly in large cities such as New York and Boston, and is also common in Irish English; a dialectal forms of plural 'you'.
I am not sure about the usage in other parts.

Any native speakers to comment on this?

Thanks.
Damian - Scotland on tea   Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:05 pm GMT
It's common in Scouseland......aka Liverpool / Merseyside. This is part of Scousespeak most probably because of the huge Irish influence on the area since the 19th century. Over 60% of the population of Liverpool is Roman Catholic, the highest density per head of population of any area in the UK. Glasgow comes a close second, for the same reasons, but "youse" does not really form part of Glasgowspeak as that developed on separate lines for some reason...perhaps because the influx into that part of Scotland came from the North of Ireland which is, of course, geographically closer to Scotland than is the Republic. In fact, one can be seen from t'other if it's a clear day.....the Mountains of Mourne from the Mull of Kintyre...or the coast of County Down from the coast of Galloway.

In fact, on an exceptionally clear day over the Irish Sea it's possible to see the Wicklow Mountains, south of Dublin, from the hilltops and cliff tops of the coast of Wales. But surprise! surprise! ....it's not often exceptionally clear over the Irish Sea, which is usally a very appealing shade of muddy greyish greenish colour whipped up into white crests by brisk south westerlies.
Pravi   Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:41 pm GMT
<<It's common in Scouseland......aka Liverpool / Merseyside>>

Damian,
What is 'aka'?

Thanks.
Claude   Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:51 pm GMT
Thanks for your comments.

Very interesting really. Irishmen should have brought this sort of speaking in Boston, etc....

I just like this way of speaking. Nice really. I will use it in future and tell "both of youse" instead of only "both of you". Why not ?

Thanks again.
Cheers. Claude.
Claude   Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:55 pm GMT
Pravi

aka means "also known as"

Cheers, dear Indian friend.

Claude.
JJJ   Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:59 pm GMT
"Youse" also pops up in colloquial Canadian English use.

"Youse guys."
Pravi   Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:48 pm GMT
Claude,

A basket full of thanks to you. I thought is was some other language used in English, coz it was the first time have I ever heard of it.

Regards,
Pravi :)
Pravi   Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:50 pm GMT
<<I thought is was >>
Ooops...I thought it was...
Jim   Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:29 am GMT
You also hear it in Australian English but you'd not be considered highly educated if you were to use be the word.
Mxsmanic   Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:03 am GMT
Different dialects of English often have different, non-standard ways of marking the plural you (since the true singular of English, thou, has fallen into disuse in most Anglophone societies).

"Youse" is one of the ways in which the plural is marked. "You all" (or "Y'all") is also a common way of marking it in the South (of the USA). "You guys" is very widely used among Americans generally. I'm not sure what the British use (if anything).

"Youse guys" is redundant, though.
Damian   Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:16 am GMT
Cheers for stepping in on my behalf, Claude. I owe you one.
Damian   Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:21 pm GMT
"Stepping in on my behalf". Please explain.

If your mean I have poached on your territory, please apologize.

Cheers. Claude.