suffix

SFX   Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:07 pm GMT
Is there a certain meaning in suffix other than 'a letter or a group of letter added at the end of a word to make a new word'?

There should be, because I saw the word 'suffix' in a context of filling a form with personal information. I couldn't get any in dictionaries though.
Jim   Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:44 am GMT
Of course, it's not letters that you add when it's spoken. However, I can't think of the meaning that you seem to be after. Perhaps you could give us the context in which you saw the word.
SFX   Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:51 am GMT
As I mentioned earlier, it was a form that should be filled with personal information such as first name, last name and etc..

That goes..

First Name :
Middle Name :
Last Name :
Suffix :

I was like..'what the hell is suffix?'
is it possibly 'nickname?'
Guest   Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:45 am GMT
Well, in the context of personal information you have a prefix (Mr., Miss., Mrs., Ms., Dr.), and you might also have a suffix (Sr., Jr., II, III).

This is called a "name suffix" or "nomenclature suffix" -- a style at the end of a person's name giving additional identifying information about the person. Name suffixes may also be academic, professional, or honorary (MD, PhD, Esq., etc. and if you've been fortunate enough to have been knighted by a British monarch, KBE, GBE, DBE, etc.)

http://www.answers.com/topic/suffix-name
SFX   Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:10 am GMT
Thank you Guest!
Thank you very very much!!!
JJM   Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:47 am GMT
In British and Canadian use, "name suffixes" are generally known as "post-nominals."