Just let go of the moribund ,endagered and extinct langauges

Zero   Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:54 am GMT
No need to keep em forever... what do u think?
i like language diversity but what can we do with 6000 that we cant do with 500? even 100? We should record them for linguistic purposes
suomalainen   Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:15 pm GMT
Every language is an invaluable part of the cultural heritage of the mankind, an extremely delicite and fine-tuned entity, a whole system how to explain the world. Do you also think, Zero, that it doesn´t matter if blue whale or white rhinoceros or ivory wood-pecker dies out if we have them on video tape or in the collections of zoological museums? No recordings can replace the real living thing in nature, whether a language or a biological species.
Easterner   Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:10 pm GMT
Brennus: >>The Scots and Irish have been less successful with Gaelic, unfortunately.<<

The case of Welsh seems to be more of a success story, although it is maybe debatable if it has ever been an "endangered" language in the first place, and even if there are very few people who use exclusively Welsh. Today, it may be the Celtic language with the largest number of active speakers (those who use it for communication every day).

On the whole, I think it is reasonable to try to keep a language alive as long as it has enough speakers to have a potential of surviving (by encouraging its use in schools and the media, for example, and through parents using it in communicating with their children). However, as some languages gain predominance in various multilingual countries, it is may be inevitable that some minority languages decline and ultimately arrive at the verge of dying out. IMHO, the critical point is reached when speaking a minority language is perceived as a stigma, a sign of backwardness, or, in the nastier case, its use is officially discouraged. One of the above has been the case for such, once thriving languages as Low Saxon and Occitan, and also Scots and Irish Gaelic. Perhaps the best examples for the opposite (at least in Europe) are Catalan, Basque and Welsh, although the latter are all affected by the majority language of their respective country, too.
JR   Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:42 am GMT
My answer is short and simple: As long as there is people interested in the language, even if it is endangered or dying out, it will survive.
Viri Amaoro   Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:41 am GMT
Many languages are disapearing but at the same time new languages are being created ("artificial" languages). It is as if human beings are constantly looking for a point of balance between the need of having a large number of people/speakers that understand you and keeping a distinctive identity from other people around you. It´s like the balance between nation and comunity, between collective and individual.
I would dare suggest that most of the new invented languages have been invented by english-speakers, that language that everyone seems to speak or understand.
It is as if for some english-speaking persons they actually have a need, sometimes, of not being understood...
Ben   Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
Brennus > >"The trend since the beginning of written history has been for languages to steadily die out at almost exponential rates. The graveyard includes Summerian, Hittite, Punic (Phoenecian), Iberian, Pisidian. Phrygian, Galatian, Old Prussian, Polabian, Cornish and Dalmatian just to mention a few; even several languages which are still alive like Greek, Irish Gaelic, Ainu and Cherokee have lost some dialects."

Yet again you claim the Irish language is dead. Please produce your definition of extinct!!!!!!

Regards,
Ben.
Tiffany   Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:22 pm GMT
Brennus did not claim Irish Gaelic was dead. He claimed it was still alive, but had lost some dialects. You might want to reread it Ben.
Ben   Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:07 pm GMT
Ooops!!!!!

That'll teach me for skim reading.!!

Many appologies Brennus!

Regards,

Ben.
Ben   Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:12 pm GMT
Cheers! Right you are, I'm a strong Irish language supporter. ;)

An Ghaeilge abú!!

Ben.
Dogmoon   Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:46 am GMT
I'd like to update the situation.....

....I am Irish, was raised in Ireland. More than 3% of the country speak Irish (Gaelic). We're very proud of our ancient language and while our parents may have resented having it forced down their throats in school, the younger generations recognise the importance of keeping the language alive.

I went to school in Munster and learned Irish there. Moved to Leinster and they made fun of my Irish (different dialect). But in senior years had an Irish teacher from Connacht (another different dialect) who put us all in our place! So much for dialects dying out...

Would like to add that the fourth dialect..Ulster Irish...is so very similar to Scots Gaelic.
a.p.a.m.   Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:29 pm GMT
I strongly disagree with the title of this thread. Who are you to declare that minor, insignificant languages should be done away with? Each language has its own uniqueness, no matter how rare it may be. Regarding the Celtic languages, they're barely hanging on. Any student of history knows that history hasn't been kind to the Celts. At one time, they dominated Europe. They even sacked Rome. But as Rome's power grew, the Romans Latinized most of Europe. Even in more recent history, Ireland's next door neighbor and neighborgood bully, England has acted to eradicate Gaelic. As England's power and influence grew, so did the English language. The Celtic languages have been the biggest victims of English's ascent and dominance in the world.