Oxymoron

Sabre   Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:30 pm GMT
Oxymoron. Can you give an example, please and what way would it be used in everyday talk.
Uriel   Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:14 am GMT
An oxymoron is a phrase composed of two elements so opposite that they cancel each other out and render the phrase either meaningless or comical.
Uriel   Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:21 am GMT
A few famous oxymorons in common use:

military intelligence

crash landing

jumbo shrimp

exact estimate

friendly fire

civil war

...get the picture? ;)
Gjones2   Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:45 am GMT
The oxymoron is also a literary device used intentionally to suggest a subtle combination of dissimilar elements or to convey a sense of emotional turmoil. Here are two examples from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet:

Subtle combination:
"Parting is such sweet sorrow."

Emotional turmoil:
"Why then, O brawling love! O loving hate!
O heavy lightness, serious vanity;
Misshapen chaos of well-seeming forms!
Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health!"

The literary use of oxymoron isn't just a poetic gimmick. Actually there are some aspects of life in which extremes tend to go together more than either extreme with the middle. To use an analogy, the higher you rise the farther you can fall. Bliss and despair are linked. In some respects love and hate are more similar than either with indifference.
Sabre   Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:54 am GMT
Thanks for replying.
Stan   Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:04 pm GMT
I would say calling "military intelligence" an oxymoron is more af an insult. Its funny how people would ridicule the same people that will give up their lives so you and I could be free. I wonder what would happen if everyone became smart and there is no longer an army; who would fight for you then? - or moreso, do you think there would be an antimoon for you to post whatever you wanted.
Stan   Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:10 pm GMT
If you want funny oxymorons, try the following;

recent History
Pretty Ugly
Jumbo Shrimp
Freezer Burn
Constant Change
Bitter Sweet
Soft Rock
Concrete Pad
Original Copy
tough Love
Thunderous Silence
Neutral Charge
New Antiques
Congressional Action
Old News
Strong Decaf
Cold Sweat
Small Crowd
Awfully Good
Short Distance
Safety Hazard
Clearly Confusing

I do not think calling "military intelligence" an oxymoron is funny these days, think of the world we live in.
Stan   Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:13 pm GMT
forgot to mention;

civil war
Rap Music
Silent Scream
Honest Politician
Creative Destruction
Postal Service
City Worker
Totally Partial
Sanitary Sewer
Sweet Sorrow
Rolling Stop
Green Consumerism
Genuine Imitation
Mournful Optimist
Gjones2   Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
>I do not think calling "military intelligence" an oxymoron is funny these days... [Stan]

I don't either but decided not to make an issue of it. In Uriel's defense, if I recall correctly, she comes from a military family, so she might believe that especially qualifies her to make that kind of joke. I was in the military for a while myself. I saw a good bit of stupidity, but plenty of intelligence too. Whether smart or not, though, people who risk their lives to defend their country get respect from me, at least for that.

A good many of those pairs (in your list too) when facetiously described as oxymorons aren't really fair to the persons being described. Humor itself tends to be based on distortions that aren't fair when taken seriously. Some are more biting than others, though.
JJM   Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:28 pm GMT
My favourite oxymoron:

International law.
Uriel   Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:29 pm GMT
My dad served in the military for 4 years as a draftee and worked for the Department of Defense for 30 more. He has always made that joke -- and at one point he had requested a transfer to Military Intelligence! Let's just say that like any monumental bureaucracy, often the US military succeeds in spite of its own best efforts to the contrary ... and lighten up! ;)
Damian   Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:40 pm GMT
Bitter sweet
Beautiful tyrant
Fiend angelical

......English intelligence
Stan   Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:41 am GMT
Here are some army jokes and funny quotes:

The most dangerous thing in the combat zone is an officer with a map.

Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike.

When your attack is going really well, its an ambush

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Professional soldiers are predictable; the world is full of dangerous amateurs.

If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

If all else fails; hide.

"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid." - Col. David H. Hackworth.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein.
Stan   Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:16 am GMT
More funny military quotes:

"It takes a brave man to be a coward in the Red Army"
- Joseph Stalin

"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one behind."
- General George S. Patton

"All you have to do is go down to the bottom of your swimming pool and hold your breath."
-David Miller, US DOE spokesperson, on protecting yourself from nuclear radiation

"War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf****r."
- Colonel Dave Hackworth's response to a reporter's attempt to interview him about a battle

"Army: A body of men assembled to rectify the mistakes of the diplomats."
- Josephus Daniels

"Diplomacy - the art of saying `Nice doggie' 'til you can find a stick."
- Wynn Catlin

"Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least they can find Kuwait. "
- A. Whitney Brown
Uriel   Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:34 am GMT
Those are pretty good!